Author Topic: Sheds for snakeskin backing?  (Read 4435 times)

Offline Stingray45

Sheds for snakeskin backing?
« on: November 01, 2010, 01:18:25 pm »
I don't know if anyone has asked this on here before or if its already been answered, but can you use a snakes shed for backing? Will it show up well? Im sure not as well skinning the snake and using that but I was just wondering. My buddy has some kind of python for a pet so I didn't know if I could get him to give me a shed and that would work for a backing, or if it wouldnt show up very well and then not be worth the effort. Thanks.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Sheds for snakeskin backing?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 02:48:58 pm »
I'm no biology expert, but there appears to be 2 layers to a snake's skin.  The outer layer has the scales on it and the inner layer has the color/pattern.  There might be more layers, but this is what I've observed. I had a bow have the outer layer fail for some reason.  The color was still there, but the texture was not.  From a distance it looked fine...up close, not so much. :(  I'm afraid a shed skin would be just that outer layer and be nearly colorless. Whatever was under the skin would likely show through.  With a large python where the skin would be thicker, maybe it'd be thick enough to add the weather protection I always use them for when sinew backing.  Not sure though.  Somebody with some real experience will probably come along and then we'll know.
St Paul, TX

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 03:16:08 pm »
I've put some black racer sheds on a couple of bows for fun.  It gives it an interesting look.  The sheds are translucent, but the scales show up.  The scales tend to fall off though.  Maybe a heavy sealant would keep them in better.

Here's a snakey Osage I made with shed backing.

BTW, sheds are nice for dressing up arrows!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:19:50 pm by Stickhead »

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 03:42:50 pm »
That's a nice looking bow. I may have to try it just to see how it goes. I thought that they would be translucent, I was thinking of staining the color I want and then putting the shed on hoping they may show up from the stain or if there would be some color present in the shed it would show up. I like how that osage look, it keeps it color but it gets the scale effect.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 03:57:22 pm »
I like that look Stickhead, thanks.  I'll have to watch for some sheds now too.

In my experience (with regular snakeskin) the scales eventually fell off every time.  Now I gently scrape them off before I put the final finish on the bow.  Otherwise it'll be pretty obvious as the color is a little different with the scales on than with them off.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:41:55 am »
Here's an ERC take-down I made using sheds.  I used sharpies to color a corn snake pattern, then put a black racer shed over the top.  Fools a lot of people.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 10:49:34 am »
That looks awesome.

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 11:14:34 pm »
Here's an ERC take-down I made using sheds.  I used sharpies to color a corn snake pattern, then put a black racer shed over the top.  Fools a lot of people.

THAT is pretty darn cool!  I get tons of sheds might have to try that sometime.
Nate Danforth

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 05:40:38 pm »
I know a bit more about snakes then I do about bows really so take it for what its worth but the shed skin is very fragile. Thinner then paper. You sure could use it for decorative purposes but as for any function forget it.
Its only wood

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 06:48:43 pm »
This looks cool!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 01:42:54 pm »
I have used shed skins in paintings for an art class.  they add texture and some pattern and work well wet if you are gentle.  Shed skins tend only to have black pigments in them.  Reds, yellows, greens, tans, etc just don't make it.  So if the snake has an interesting back pattern you might have some real art potential or some camo benefit.  Experiment and let us know what you find out.  I doubt the back would benefit from the strength of the skins but a lot of what we bowyers do is not always about function.  The corn snake bow above is a great example.

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 02:06:14 pm »
Well from what I've been told by many people on here and other sites the snake skins in general have no structural value, they're only for looks and camo purposes. So you have the same issue with normal skins or sheds in that department at least. My feeling is as some have mentioned is that sheds are more delicate and would be a little more difficult to work with but if you take your time and are careful you could reap the benefits.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 03:54:22 pm »
but a lot of what we bowyers do is not always about function. 

AMEN, Brother!  If it was all about function, efficiency, further-faster-flatter, then we'd all be out there on the bicycle-bow bandwagon.  Most of us are here because of the curiosity, the need for experimentation, and the love for the inate beauty that wood and other natural materials have that modern compounds have left behind. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 04:23:23 pm »
Yeah Im with ya on that. Im kind of opposed to harvesting wild snakes for their skins too. Unless you eat it. Then its ok  ;)
Its only wood

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 04:40:00 pm »
Other than copperheads, I think the prettiest native snake for bowbacking is the bull snake.  I just can't make myself kill one, though.   My plan is to keep two sheds from the 4+ footer that I have at my house and paint the pattern on the bow with Sharpies, like Stickhead suggests.  Great idea, Stick, thanx.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.