Author Topic: Completely new red oak elb  (Read 25501 times)

youngbowyer

Re: Completely new red oak elb
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 08:15:01 pm »
here it is on the tiller pulled at 28 inches

youngbowyer

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 08:34:20 pm »
Thanks! The bow is pulling a lot less than I wanted to so I was thinking about treating it. However this is a board bow and I think that this is kiln dried wood so would heat treating work or would it make the bow to brittle

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 11:09:27 pm »
...if you want more draw weight, start another one :)

Hopefully I can help with that.  Here's the osage stave I split out tonight for him:

90" long, over 2" wide at each end and a little over an inch thick at that little jog in the middle.  Quite straight, but it will need a little bit of straightening to keep the string in the handle.  It has a gentle twist but not bad.  To the center of that jog is 42" from the short end.   If I were making a bow from it I'd make that little curve the handle.  I can either send it as is (assuming I can find or make a box to fit) or cut it in half and splice it at the wide ends, taking out that bend.  Not sure which would be better.  I'm quite sure that'll make a heavy enough elb unless there's some damage under the sapwood I don't see .  I did see at least 2 knots.  Best of all it is so thin it only weighs 12 lbs.

George
St Paul, TX

youngbowyer

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 11:43:02 pm »
Looks like a nice stave George. Might be better to splice them because I'm not sure if I have the skill to work that twist

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 12:09:55 am »
Now I have a question.  When splicing billets to make an ELB, should I splice in reflex?  I would making a flatbow but not sure what to do here.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 05:45:43 pm »
The bow and the tiller look great
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

youngbowyer

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 08:48:48 pm »
it broke again.....after some tears and some cursing and saying that i wouldnt make a bow again i decided to have one more go with the osage that george stoneberg is sending me. Red oak is just not working out for me.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2010, 10:37:11 am »
Could you post another picture of the break? And also are you backing them?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2010, 11:23:34 pm »
Now that I'm home from hunting I'll get after your stave.  Sorry to hear this one broke.  Do you want me to cut the stave down to length?  I can't remember what you were shooting for again?

George
St Paul, TX

youngbowyer

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2010, 12:15:32 pm »
I'm going for about 60 pounds at 30" and around 68 to 70" long

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2010, 01:14:18 pm »
Got a few minutes to work on your bow stave before Thanksgiving dinner this morning.  Here's before and after I chased a growth ring.

Lots of borer damage.  It's good you didn't make this one your first time chasing a growth ring.  I'm going to go down one more ring to get rid of quite a bit of the damage, but will heat bend the bow first.  Then if I discolor that outside ring it'll get removed.  I'd like to make the limbs narrower before I do the bending.  Any borer holes remaining will be filled with sawdust and glued with superglue.

Can anyone give me approximate widths for an osage ELB so I don't make it too narrow?  The stave is about 76" now, once I have the tips aligned with the handle I'll probably shorten it to 72" for shipping.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

youngbowyer

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2010, 05:55:03 pm »
1 1/4 at the handle tapering down to 1/2 at the tips

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2010, 10:32:57 pm »
Sorry, I've been out deer hunting.  I won't go all the way to those dimensions, but it'll bend better if it's thinner.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2010, 08:16:51 pm »
Nice!
Looks like your shooting technique is very good too  :)

youngbowyer

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2010, 09:18:10 pm »
Thanks!
George once i receive the stave could i round the back so the cross section is more oval like the mary rose bows or would that violate the back since you already the chased the growth ring.