Author Topic: Moisture meter question  (Read 1566 times)

Offline petew

• Peteward.com
Moisture meter question
« on: December 04, 2010, 02:06:01 am »
I just got a moisture meter today and it has a range from 6% to 44%. Just turning it on it reads  8%. without the probes contacting anything, is this normal or is it messed up. The stave's I wanted to test showed 16%, so i assume this is still to wet for Hop Hornbeam and Ash.
 Should I be wanting to see about 10% or less for Ash and Hop Hornbeam.?
 I have some Osage that reads 8 to 9% so I will start on it first.
share your knowledge and ideas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Moisture meter question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 11:49:54 am »
Pete, you want about 9% to 11%mc for most bow woods except hickory and it likes about 6%. More mc for any wood will result in a sluggish bow and more set. Much less mc would be almost too dry and can cause failure.
  I bought a pin type moisture meter years ago and got rid of it because I never used it. I actually gave(or traded) it to Justin Snyder so he was sure his bow wood wasn't too dry in the arid Utah climate. Now I go by feel, the sound of the tools on the wood and the recovery of the wood used as I build a bow.
  The pin type moisture meters only measure the moisture between the pins so it is only the outer layer of wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ohma

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 12:16:43 pm »
agree with PatB here i dont trust them  a bit. like said theyre only reading outside wood.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 02:33:47 pm »
Like the guys say, they are of limited use, I bought one just as a check, it's handy now and again, I tended to use it on the off cut wood from the end of a stave if I'm not sure how it's doing or if I was seasoning a stave on a radiator. But now I rely on feel mostly.
I try not to fight the climate too much, and I prbably have a slightly higher moisture content than ideal (Englan id pretty humid generally) but I'd rather have a bit of set than a snapped bow).
The one I had came with a built in calibtation check which gives a defined reading when placed across the pins.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 08:55:04 pm »
Pete, I use my meter all the time right down to the stave's first stringing. When I get a reading I don't want I stop and let it dry.
I want these readings: hickory 6-8%; osage 8-10%, oak, hop hornbeam, ash 8-10% also. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!