Author Topic: fletching width?  (Read 2453 times)

Offline sander

fletching width?
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:30:58 pm »
Hey guys got my first arrow done except for finish and trimming the turkey feather
fletching.  Arrow will be used for hunting deer.  Bamboo with stone point. Arrow on the
heavy side 800 grains.  Fletches are 51/2 inches long, what width for this heavy arrow
would you guys recommend for the turkey feathers.  What width do you like? Thoughts appreciated.  Will post it when done.  Shooting 56 pound bow.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: fletching width?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 10:43:52 pm »
I suppose it is because I like the looks of the feather so much, I usually have mine 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch at the high point (Usually the latter) on a fletch that long. They seem to shoot good to boot. I mostly straight fletch (Always on hunting arrows) so I don't feel like it slows the arrow much if any. I might go a qaurter inch on a four fletch, but I never four fletch for myself. My 2 cents  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 01:04:17 am »
Start high(3/4") and see how they fly and sound. Then cut them down and see how it flies and sounds. The shape will make a difference with the sound. I have forns that some of the trad styles are noisy but if you cut off the point from the rear of each feather they quiet down quite a bit.
  Unless you have matched stone points and matched shafts you may have to check each arrow to see what works best for it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sander

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 02:49:25 am »
Sparrow, Pat thanks for the advice I think I will try 3/4 inch

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 07:19:48 am »
I usually go about a half at the back ,a straight taper to almost nothing on the front. Seems to work just fine. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:38:04 am »
You need to consider the weight of your finished arrow. A heavier arrow requires more fletching/helical if you want the arrow to rotate for better stability. More weight means more work for the fletching.......ART

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 11:57:25 am »
   I've always liked 1/2,3/4's are find but it always seamedto slow downmy arrow a little to much.I'm not into speed I just seam to shoot a little better with 1/2 inch.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING