Author Topic: starting an osage longbow  (Read 4261 times)

youngbowyer

starting an osage longbow
« on: November 15, 2010, 05:19:09 pm »
Hi,

George from the forum is sending me osage billets and i want to make a longbow from them. However i know that osage is very dense and strong so i don't know what the dimension should be. I'm thinking of a bow that is around 68 to 70 inches long and i want a 55 to 60 pounds draw weight. Also since these are billets would a working handle bow work or would there be too much pressure on the splices.

Thanks, Tom.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: starting an osage longbow
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:06:54 pm »
Tom, I've built a few osage ELBs in the 45# to 60# range, all from staves and not billets. With the spliced billets you want to maintain a rigid handle. Start at about 1 1/4" at the handle and out 4" either side of the 4" handle, then taper to 1/2" tips. With a rounded belly you have to take care not to get sideways bending. Good luck and post pics as you go along.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

youngbowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 06:19:27 pm »
Nevermind the billets. It will be kept as a single stave. i probably won't get the stave till  after thanksgiving but once i get started ill keep you guys posted

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 06:22:10 pm »
With a stave you could definately do an "arc of the circle" tiller.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC