Author Topic: 49" Inuit cable backed....done (added pic of a simpler type model)  (Read 21559 times)

half eye

Re: 49" Inuit cable backed....done (added pic of a simpler type model)
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 01:13:00 pm »
This bow had the curves steamed in prior to finishing the cables.

Here is a museum photo of an authentic Artic Inuit bow that has a less complicated cable system.....I'm build it now, but thought ya might like to see that all of the originals were not necessarily a weavers nightmare. So here's the pic. I'm making this model from ash. The original bow is 52" overall and 1-1/2" wide. Notice that it has a palm swell at the grip.
Rich

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 05:19:29 pm »
Another nice one Rich,
Keep it up,f
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 05:21:30 pm »
Well,l I certainly wish you luck with this new bow my friend!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 05:45:00 pm »
Can't wait to see it, as with all of the ones you do!
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2010, 07:33:36 pm »
Amazing Rich!  Going outside the circle is a great way to bringing in some new ideas and that is one reason why I like your work!  Take care and talk to you soon!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 03:59:52 pm »
Rich,  I am impressed.  A couple of questions.  Did you permanently attach the bridge blocks?  also, Did you steam the siyahs into their shape??

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 04:50:57 pm »
Richard Im gonna kidnap u and turn u into a bow making machin!!!  Well done my friend!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline half eye

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 04:58:30 pm »
Swamp,
     The bridge blocks are layed in "dry" when the two main cables get tensioned up ya cant move them buggers. As for the steaming ....ya I steam bend all my wood, do it by hand and "eye-ball" it.
     As far as the bridges go I've seem some museum bows that were wood to wood, and just as many that had rawhide under the blocks. The other thing is I dont know if they removed those or not when they un-twisted the main cable after @ hunt.
hope that helps ya some
rich

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 10:07:45 pm »
It does.  I am contemplating walking a while in your footsteps. . .  well i guess they would be Inuit footsteps eh?   ;D  Thanks. 

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 10:09:19 pm »
Rich, great job. Never have I seen anything quite like that--techologically sophisticated but primitive. I may see if I can get my hands on a copy of Mason's book. Another great bow!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline half eye

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 10:32:49 pm »
Here are some pics of a simpler cabling pattern bow that I made (along with an Otter arrow) but did not post. This pattern is also authentic but is one of the simpler types.

Here's the pics

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2010, 02:46:09 am »
hey Rich
As always.......I'm impressed, and inspired!
Keep us learning....

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 01:05:52 pm »
Rich,  I am digging into this a bit more as I contemplate my own adventure.  in doing so I have a couple other questions.  I hope you do not mind. 

First, how tight do you wind the cable loops? 
Second, do you let off the tension from the back cable by untwisting it when the bow is unstrung?

I have two hickory bows laid out because they both had major nicks in the back from debarking. These will be the simple Inuit cable back bows.   I have also decided to go fetch a willow stave and work it green and then make a tatar style with the deflexed mid limbs and tips.  Any suggestions will be welcomed.  I love a challenge.

OH and one more - the handle braces how thick did you make yours?  I looked at the reference you used and they were light on the specs.  I would love to see a volume 3 to Steve Allely and Jim Hamm's Encyclopedia of North American Indian bows, arrows, and quivers!  ;D

Offline half eye

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 04:31:29 pm »
Swamp,
      The cable can be tensioned to any degree you wish. Basically it is a matter of more turns equal more draw weight/ tension. Most of mine were only about 3 to 5 turns. That means the string spoons  which only get a half turn at a time so ya got to go between 6 to 10, 1/2 turns. On shorter bows that's usually enough to go upward about 10-15 pounds of "weight".
      Your second question: The cables are wrapped to bind them down (except for the four passes at the grip which pass through the cable) so they have winding tension on them.....pull the four wraps in the grip area and the cable will will un-wrap by it self. I can only assume this was done with the bow unbraced to minimize the the overall cable tension.....but couldn't swear to it.
      The grip brace (belly side) is simply an unglued "belly lamination" and is used to change the profile of the bow. Mine was too thin and allowed too much bend in the center....a thicker one would have put more bend toward the outer limbs. But overall I think if you went with 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick pieces you would be pretty close to what ya need....since they are tied in, you can tweek" @ one to suit the particular bow.
      You will find it easiest to wrap your main cable first, then place your rawhide, then do the cable wrapping and soldier hitches. The main cable adds weight and the hitches keep the limbs bound together (stabilize the wood) and locate the cable on the long axis.
     hope that answers your questions.....if not please email me at    rousseau.rd@att.net....happy to help if I can.
rich

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 10:01:32 pm »
many thanks.