Author Topic: Making animal glue for applying sinew?  (Read 2322 times)

Offline snag

Making animal glue for applying sinew?
« on: November 23, 2010, 08:26:51 pm »
I understand that by boiling knox gelatin and dipping sinew in it you have a good way of having the sinew adhere to the bow. I was reading about making your own animal glue and it was said that you could use painting canvas sizing that is derived from animal. They called it the old style canvas sizing, NOT the new acrylic sizing. So, I called the local art supply store and asked for it and darned if they didn't have "rabbit skin" glue in powder form, ready to mix with water, sold in one pound amounts!  Has anyone tried doing this?  I would think you would still have to boil it down to a thickness that would work.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Making animal glue for applying sinew?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:34:16 pm »
I don't think you want to boil it as it destroys hide glue.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:17:47 pm »
 Snag, I think the best for sinew is to make the glue from sinew. It's very easy. I just take some sinew scraps and the casings from the sinew that I've processed and throw them in a crock pot. Fill with water about half full and cook on low over night. By morning it will be about 1/4 full and the consistency of running syrup.Strain off the glue.  Soak the sinew in the glue for a few minutes until very soft and like wet hair and apply.  freeze the remaining glue until next time.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 11:34:04 pm »
"Snag, I think the best for sinew is to make the glue from sinew"

I second that! I have no idea how the hide glue thing ever started with sinew backing. It makes no sense. Sinew glue is very good. Why go to the extra trouble when you could just use sinew? Doesn't it make sense?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline oat

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 12:03:00 am »
I agree with that, sinew glue is the answer.

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 12:23:06 am »
well, id go with sinew glue too, butttttt..  it  isnt readily available to purchase
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 12:40:42 am »
If there is a deer processor near you and you don't mind digging into barrels of deer parts you can probably get all you want for free. Actually if you ask they might put all legs in one barrel for you.
  Tell them what you are doing with it. That will either make or break the deal!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snag

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 11:10:43 am »
Good idea Pat. I'll contact a couple of meat cutting shops that do game processing.

Keenan, thanks for tip. I assume you leave the lid off the cockpot so it will cook down and thicken up..? Does it clean up off the cockpot so my wife won't be mad at me? haha

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 12:05:58 pm »
Snag, the hide(sinew) glue is water soluable so clean up should not be a problem as long as you clean while it is in liquid form. If you allow it to dry in the crock pot it may pull the enamel finish off the inside of the pot.
  I'm looking for a cheap crock pot at a few second hand stores just for this purpose.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 01:17:35 pm »
I will be trying me some rabbit skin glue. count on that. Ive used knox gelatin before. mix one packet with a half cup of water then just heat it up and apply. you just gotta lash it down good. it really is a joy to work with animal based glues. it does all the things modern glue should but doesnt! Im surprised it isnt more popular.
Its only wood

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 01:20:09 pm »
Snag, I do put the lid on. Mine seems to stay just below boiling which is what you want, (boiling weakens the glue) As far as clean-up.  I was able to scrub down ours several times before Lulyn caught me in the act. :o :o >:D She has a new fancy crock pot now!  ::) ::)

Offline snag

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 01:24:00 pm »
I think I will try to maintain marital bless with shopping for a cockpot at a thrift store.