Author Topic: lever length experiment (not for bom) finished pics with bullsnake skins  (Read 8263 times)

Lombard

Re: lever length experiment (not for bom) flight shoot results added
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 02:50:22 pm »
Nothing wrong with experimentation. As a young student in chemistry, in physics, and in biology, we conducted experiments that had been done countless thousands of times, with the results well know. Some say pointless, because the results were already well documented.The exercise is not pointless, because it is the process itself that brings the information into understanding, and from understanding the ability to perform. Besides, unusual bows make for interesting conversation.

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 04:05:19 pm »
Why not skeletonize the tips? It would be interesting to see the performance increase if you could keep them the same stiffness but lighten them considerably.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 04:19:09 pm »
guess i could drill a bunch of holes in the levers , is that what ur talkin about Patm

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 06:34:09 pm »
what if you kept the levers stayed the same width and thickness to the fades? would this put to much stress on the whole thing?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline half eye

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 06:54:34 pm »
Hey Ken,
      If 148 was your average then ya must had at least one to 150 or so. For a 44# bow of that length, I dont believe that is bad at all. Unless ya want a pure flight bow think about a deer at 20 yards or less.....when it (the arrow) hits it's still got about 130 yards of power left in it and about 12-18" of critter to get into.......still gonna be a damned fine huntig bow. I know fer afact yer allready lookin at some tweeks, aint ya?
      Emperically gathered data is reliable info for real world situations, and better still you have the confidence in the equipment to absolutely know it's a good set up. JMO 
       PS: gonna have the 10/13 ratio 53" ready to go shortly will see how it does and compare notes, eh?
rich

Offline ken75

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 12:21:58 am »
hillbilly i did that on the last one the 15/11 ratio has 1/2 inch width for their length. its a little thicker in the belly up next to the lever fade but very slender tips thats the one that i got 183 yrds out of
Rich i think your right on that its a viable hunting bow, i still may do a little tweakin on it though. lookin forward to seeing the new one

on a side note i got 166 yrds out of an unbacked (snakeskin) black walnut recurve thats 48 lbs , some of your wood

Offline NTD

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 01:06:04 am »
Gosh that's a pretty bow Ken! (Nothing wrong with that molle experiment but I like that recurve)  Wish I could find a spot to flight shoot...I think my arrows would shatter to bits after hitting the ground from any distance here....
Nate Danforth

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 01:07:26 am »
Hey Ken Nice job and I like experimentin with mollies.Have you thought about recurving your levers a bit.You should give it a try and i think you'll be surprised with what they add.I think it gets that short limb workin a bit more and stores more energy and nullifys handshock from the long lever.Just a thought ;)
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline ken75

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 01:20:07 pm »
thanks nate , i like em too
thanks randy , recurving levers is a whole nother experiment that rich has done . but worth playin with

Offline ken75

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 12:46:48 am »
ok had a few minutes waiting on the turkey today so i cut three inches off each lever and retillered it to same weight same draw. included are pics with paint removed as i was tillering. took it out and shot it with the same arrows and got a four shot average of 151 yrds.

now the testing is done im gonna finish it , repaint and maybe some snake skins and give it away if i can find someone that wants it

Offline half eye

Ken,
     With your flight tests only slightly improved, it seems like there is the possibility that the bow just needs a heavier arrow.  If a heavier arrow doesn't get more distance, it's possible that the 150 (plus or minus) yard range just might be what the practical limits of 44# are when shooting fully fletched hunting type arrows. Still dont believe that 150 yards of cast from a 44# bow is anywhere near bad though, regardless. JMO
rich

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Is this a first come first serve? ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline ken75

absolutely , heres the bow finished painted black with bullsnake skins , 52 inches 45 lbs @ 28 , 151 yrds with broadheads , after all the work , stress and retillering it finished with around 3/4 inch of set . hope yall enjoyed this as much as me .
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:00:54 pm by ken75 »

Offline half eye

Re: lever length experiment (not for bom) finished pics with bullsnake skins
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 03:07:26 pm »
Damned fine lookin bow there Ken, It's a looker and shoots well too!!!!
rich

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: lever length experiment (not for bom) finished pics with bullsnake skins
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 03:21:09 pm »
Nice experiment.  Shortening the lever length and moving the working portion of the limbs outwards should realize an improvement in performance
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com