Author Topic: A BBI R/D birthday  (Read 14018 times)

Offline NTD

A BBI R/D birthday
« on: November 26, 2010, 04:26:54 pm »
Here is a BBI I finished up for Frank's 63rd Birthday.  It is 64 inch tip to tip. 1 1/8" wide until about midlimb, tapers to 7/16" nocks.  It draws about 60lbs at 28".  Coyote Powerlam.  Coyote, Osage, and HHB riser.  Osage and Walnut overlays.  Finished with 6 coats of tung oil.  Beaver fur silencers.  Hope you all like it.

Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

Re: A BBI R/D birthday
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 04:28:14 pm »
Nate Danforth

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 05:22:17 pm »
 :o :o  Wow that is sweet. You are really getting those R/D glue ups down.  He's going to be one happy birthday guy. ;)   Very nice gift.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 05:22:47 pm »
Very nice Nate. Everything looks good.  Never heard of coyote. What is it?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 05:33:20 pm »
Thanks Guys!

Pat,
Botanical Name:
Platymiscium polystachyum

Other Names:
Coyote, Granadillo, Guayacan trebol, Jacaranda do brejo, Koenatepi, Macacauba, Macawood, Trebol

I made a bamboo backed RD out of it but it fretted pretty bad, still shoots but I worry when it will go.  Someday I will try a less stressed version of bow with it and maybe use a hickory back.  It's a nice wood, Dense, like most SA hardwoods.
Nate Danforth

Offline oneeye

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »
That one turned out nice!! He'll have a great birthday, remember mines in August so you've got plenty of time. ;D   Scott

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 05:36:47 pm »
Thanks Scott!  I'll keep that in mind ;D  Thanks for the help with the handle, I think I need to round it a bit more next time, but don't think it's too bad for my first dished pistol type grip.
Nate Danforth

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 07:17:22 pm »
That is smokin'! Nicely done.  :o

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 07:59:35 pm »
Another masterpiece.  Looks great!

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 08:46:55 pm »
YEs, that is a fine looking bow! Kinda looks like mine posted earlier.

Congratz on a fine bow!

Offline NTD

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 08:52:10 pm »
Thanks Adam, Cam, and Eastern.  You are right Eastern, very similar profiles ;)  You're finish work is in a whole nother league though.  Nice job with that. 
Nate Danforth

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 10:09:58 pm »
Thanks Adam, Cam, and Eastern.  You are right Eastern, very similar profiles ;)  You're finish work is in a whole nother league though.  Nice job with that. 

Oh I dunno! I like the satin finish on yours....just blinged up the one I did cuz some peole like that shine....he'll likely never use it to hunt other than the odd bunny stomp. Seems we both held about the same amount of relfex too. How cool is that! And the grips aren't that different either.

I think the next one I do(like this weekend ::)) will have a satin finish...maybe.....we'll see! sigh! another Christmas bow...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:16:12 pm by Easternarcher »

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 02:51:08 am »
Eastern, I meant less the "finish" and more the overall aesthetics that I consider finish work, tip overlays, Dye job on your bamboo, which was incredible by the way, shaping the handle, that sort of stuff.  I'm still not at the skill level in those areas that you obviously are.   I'm just now starting to get better at that stuff.  I'm also starting to enjoy putting effort into those areas.  It used to be "hey, it shoots, what else do you want?"  ;D LOL
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 03:17:29 am »
Dang Nate...You are pumping out some Nice Bows....Maybe after Hunting Season...I'll have some time for one again....maybe.... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 03:20:26 am »
Nate, your bows get better and better every time!
Love the braced and full draw pic!
Frank from Germany...