Author Topic: flemish fits  (Read 6699 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: flemish fits
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 03:10:24 pm »
All right then Frode, ya ready to go hunting pheasants now? 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Frode

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 04:50:27 pm »
All right then Frode, ya ready to go hunting pheasants now? 

Gettin' close, JW, gettin' close.  I got one together, strung it, and as soon as I started to let up on the stringer it started to unwind  :o; I hadn't wound the string any!  Soon as I wrapped it back up and put some twist into the string, it was fine!  A little short, but fine.  I'm about to tie up another one, with a neater job of it and a little more length.

Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 05:31:28 pm »
Soon as I wrapped it back up and put some twist into the string, it was fine!  A little short, but fine. 

Frode

Told ya so!  :P  I'm just buggin ya because those are the same two problems I had.  I think I redid the second loop on my first string about 3 times before I got the length just right.  Until you get a good idea of how long to make it, cut your strands a little long so that if you end up short, you can undo the tag ends, put in a few more twists in the loop, then twist it up again.  I found the general rule of "3 inches shorter than the bow" to be a bit short.  I think mine are about 2 or 2.5, although I dont measure.  I prefer to be half an inch long than too short.  You can always shorten the string up some by adding more twist, but you can't make it longer!

Offline Frode

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 10:30:59 pm »
AlllllRightyThen!  You want to get the true skinny, you gotta talk to the right people.
This is number two, and, including the time it took to tap some nails into a board for a jig, took less than an hour to twist and serve!  I just got back from putting about 40 arrows through it, and no sign of unraveling!  I reckon the next one shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.
Thanks everyone!
Frode

Offline NTD

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 12:22:09 am »
Beautiful work Frode!  I like making strings!
Nate Danforth

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 12:55:44 pm »
Nice work,once you get it ,it is like riding a bike ,you will never forget. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 01:39:25 pm »
 Frode  Glad to see you got the twist down !
Now go back to the comment of the leather,(use it or thin cardboard to protect your fingers from burning) with the bow strung go hard and fast create as much heat as you can ,it not only works the wax in but takes the stretch out of the string
if you don't think so next time you put a new string on measure the brace height then do it and measure again. when its done twist it to the right height again then you are truly finished!!Have fun Guy !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 01:41:58 pm »
great job Frode. Jus remember when comin out of your loop make sure to match up your colors and keep on jus like you made your loop and wax about the last 18 inches real good before you make your loop!Makin strings is good fun and soon you'll have em hangin everywhere! ;)
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 01:46:33 pm »
great job Frode. Jus remember when comin out of your loop make sure to match up your colors and keep on jus like you made your loop and wax about the last 18 inches real good before you make your loop!Makin strings is good fun and soon you'll have em hangin everywhere! ;)

Everyone has their own technique, but it think it's irrelevant whether or not you match up the colors.  I've made them either way (because some stings I make are 1 color, so I can't tell which is which), and they turn out the same.  That's just my novice opinion though.  I always wondered why you would have to match them.

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 02:20:27 pm »
I'm no professional string maker by no means,but I think it puts even tension on your loop and helps to hold everything together.As for makin one color strings >:( drives me nuts!it would be easier to jus twist em up but that was the way i was shown and it works for me.Maybe someone a bit more experienced will chime in and comment on color to color reasoning?Durnit Cam now ya got my brain in O.D. ;D Off to do some research!LOL
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 02:25:56 pm »
I'm guessing the only reason is so that it looks nice.  But with two bundles of the same color, I can't see it making any difference.

Offline Frode

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 07:00:33 pm »
Now go back to the comment of the leather...

Thanks, I should have mentioned that!  After everything was said and done and strung, I did go back and wax some more and give it a good rubbing down with a scrap of leather.  It does a much better job of heating things up and working the wax in than fingertips alone!  It all smoothed down nice and flat.

Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words, guys.
The only thing that worries me is, Pappy's never seen me ride a bike!  :o

Frode

Offline sailordad

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 07:14:52 pm »
Now go back to the comment of the leather,(use it or thin cardboard to protect your fingers from burning) with the bow strung go hard and fast create as much heat as you can ,it not only works the wax in but takes the stretch out of the string
if you don't think so next time you put a new string on measure the brace height then do it and measure again. when its done twist it to the right height again then you are truly finished!!Have fun Guy !!

I dont use any thing other than my fingers to rub in wax
I find using leather or cardboard makes the string wax combo look dirty.
Plus after all the years of wrenching i have so many callouses and can barely
feel my finger pads anyhow.
Sure i may get a blister but i dont feel that eithet.
Plus my strings look cleaner

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 07:34:23 pm »

I dont use any thing other than my fingers to rub in wax
Plus after all the years of wrenching i have so many callouses and can barely
feel my finger pads anyhow.
Sure i may get a blister but i dont feel that eithet.
Plus my strings look cleaner

So... You're using leather, it's just built into your fingers!  ;D

Offline sailordad

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 07:35:10 pm »
cameroo i nver thought of it like that  :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd