Author Topic: Had to use a rifle but......  (Read 5198 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Had to use a rifle but......
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 12:55:08 pm »
Not sure what BTR is. I used the pope and young system/score sheet since thats what I'm familar with. I agree with you, I don't like deductions, that's why I always like to hear/see gross scores not net.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 02:01:54 pm »
BTR  is Buckmasters Trophy Records.I sent you a link to a printable score sheet.You can count the inside spread or not your choice but they deem it as a measurement of air.It gives credit for all horn and deducts nothing.I think its a true measurement of your deer.Mine grossed 131 2/8 with btr so yours will prolly go around the same as it looks very symmetrical.Try it i think you will like it!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Lombard

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 02:22:32 pm »
Congratulation on a fine harvest Ryan. No shame, because meat in the pot is meat in the pot. That other site has a great deal of dissension. I go there for the self bow forum, and that generally isn't to bad. 

Offline Ryano

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 05:38:04 pm »
Thanks Randy, I dropped him off @ the taxidermists this morning so I won't be able to try it until I get it back. I really don't even care about the numbers anyways but it just makes it easier to tell someone it's a ---" buck vs. "I got a big buck" since everyone's definition of a good deer is different. I got my other deer officially scored for pope and young but I never even sent in the score sheet. I don't care if my name is listed in some big old book anyways.

Thanks Dave. I hear ya.  ;D

Offline Little John

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 08:08:22 pm »
Congratulations Ryan on a fine animal. I like to bow hunt but I also like venison steaks and chlli. We can't always get them with a bow. A nice set of horns are nice to look at also. Enjoy all that good eating.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 08:20:49 pm »
Ryan:  Congrats on a nice deer.  `Where I live if you need some meat in the freezer to make it through the winter you better use your rifle!  I always carry my bow, but sometimes like this year in the Yukon a rifle is necessary.  I shot a cow elk a few days ago and was darn glad to get her.  It was 16 below and the snow was getting deep enough to keep a fellow out of the hills.  By the way, your "Two Face" bow has made some kills, just not by me.  A/Ho Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Ryano

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 10:26:26 pm »
Thanks Guys.  ;D

Kenneth, Chilli sounds pretty good right about now.

Joe, I'm not going to pretend like I'd of starved if I didn't get another deer to fill the freezer. Fact is we have more than enough, I just hunted so hard this year with the bow and couldn't close the deal. I felt like I just wanted to try it again the easy way . I haven't picked up a high powered rifle in years.... probably won't again for a few. I know hunting is not just about the kill but some times when you put in as much time as I did this year with so little to show for it, you just feel like you want to get it over and done with and thats basicly what I did.  ;D

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 03:03:36 am »
Ryan...I score mine by the G.W.T.B. Score System ( Gut Wrenching Tickle Belly System)....thats when He walks out into sight...and your heart starts to pumping so damned Hard that you feel Your Pulse in your Ears...your  breathing so hard and fast ...that you are on the verge of Hyperventilating.......and Your Junk is trying to crawl back up inside of You because every muscle in your Body is as tight a a Piano wire....thats my system of Scoring a Trophy Buck...and mine scored a Gazillion.... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ryano

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 09:54:49 am »
Ya I had all that going on as well Mike. Generally when you can see a deer has a rack running threw the woods @ 100+ yards its a pretty good'en. I could see those 10" long tines sticking up and basically shot and asked questions later..... I was pretty tense about it after I found out I had actually hit him, cause as soon as I round the corner the direction he went I could see another hunter sitting in a tree stand and pointing his gun at something. Well it ended up being my deer, he had laid down about 50 yards in front of this other hunter but this guy had nothing but a head shot. Well I took a few more steps and the buck jumps up and all I can see is big rack and tail running away but I pulled down and cracked off a shot as he went over the crest of the hill. Then this other guy shoots twice @ it as it runs by him. Now I'm worried this kid probably shot it too and its going to be a fight over who's deer it is, but I walk up to were it was laying and the bed is completely saturated with blood so then I walk over to the other guy and ask him if he thinks he hit it. He said hell no... I laughed and told him I was glad cause I already had it bleeding pretty good, so we both walk over to the crest of the hill where we could see down into the brushy bottom and that's when I seen him jump up and take off again. This other guy starts to go down the blood trail and I yelled at him and told him to stop. I knew we need to give it some time so we went back over to where he was laying in front of this kid and looked at the sign more closely it was bright red blood and lots off it, no sign of a gut shot or anything of the sort. So we just stood there a b.s.for a half hour or so and then when back after it. To make a long story short this deer actually ran across a open field for a couple hundred yards crossed a road and then across another field and went down a steep bank on the other side. We found him dead about half way down that steep side hill. In The end I was glad the kid had accompanied me as I was pretty shook up anyways and he even helped me drag it up the steep side hill and back the road where I was able to get it with my truck. I bet that deer went at least a mile after I shot him, the hit was low in the neck in front of the shoulder and must have severed the jugular vein. I still can't beleive he got that far with out getting shot again by another hunter. I was pretty worried till I saw him laying there dead on that side hill.