Author Topic: any basket makers?  (Read 2269 times)

Offline recurve shooter

any basket makers?
« on: December 07, 2010, 01:56:20 pm »
sooo in my art class we are doing a basket weaving section. of course, instead of the little pencil cups or fruit baskets that everyone els was doing, i talked to my teacher and got about five times as much material as everyone els and am working on a basket quiver. (starting to regret that actually. alot of weaving.) so i got to wondering if any of you make natural baskets or woven quivers or whatever. its alot of fun, i was wondering what materials you would use. phragmites? cane? bigger boo? my teacher mentioned whiteoak bark. just currious, think it would be fun. thanks for any info! ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: any basket makers?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 04:58:53 pm »
I made basket quivers last year and used store bought basket material with natural accents like snake skins and choke crerry bark. I can remember if they were in the how to section, arrow section or primitive skills section. Do a search(try primitive skills first)
  You can use grape vines, honeysuckle vines, make coil type baskets with long leaf yellow pine needles wrapped with palmetto fronds. Use palmetto fronds for the weavers and split the stems for the ribs.   Just tree bark that has been stripped from the tree but you have to do that during the growing season.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 11:31:39 pm »
I do some weaving with white oak splits, honeysuckle, poplar, basswood, and elm bark.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 06:24:47 am »
tulip bark, hemlock, pine, willow,red twig, red oak splits, ash splints, rattan , jute, dogbane, grass. lots of materials out there. wish i had more time to do it.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct