Author Topic: Square Foot Gardening?  (Read 8056 times)

Lombard

Re: Square Foot Gardening?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 08:58:16 pm »
I think you folks might be in for it, with the cold Eddie. First time in the five years we have lived here that the ground has actually frozen solid. Price of citrus will be through the roof.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 10:32:31 pm »
 Yea, and this year they were forecaste to out produce Brazil in citrus this year. And we are two months away from strawberry harvesting where I live. And the price of edible corn and tomatoes will go up also. I didn't know till today that Florida is the largest producer of edible corn in the US.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 04:05:40 pm »
Eddie, i had some of that so called edible corn from Fla. an I swear it was field corn an hardly edible pig feed ;D  Sweet corn up here sure tastes differnt, Maybe all that free nitrogen we get with our 120 to 140" of freesnow per year. :(  Bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 06:18:43 pm »
 Bob, by the time it gets to you guy's it probably is pig feed. You ought to go to the Zellwood Corn Festival down here. The fresh corn here you don't really have to cook, or just enough to melt the butter.
Lakeland, Florida

Lombard

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 07:32:51 pm »
Updating the post, as I've been on the road a great deal of the time over the last two months. Split some ERC that wasn't suitable for bows (I'm beginning to believe I can't find any), and connected them, making a four foot box. Mixed blended compost, sphagnum moss, and course vermiculite in equal volume, then added it to the box. Strung off a one foot grid with twine, and planted what we have started. If we can we will do one box a week until we have a total of three.  Looking forward to that fresh from the garden produce this year. We have tomato plants in the Topsy turvy planter, and in the pot below it also.

Grunt

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 08:03:02 pm »
We have eight raised beds that are 4 feet wide and 10 feet long.I built some coldframe covers that I can move from bed to bed. I've got peas, spinach,mustard,onions, swiss chard, bok choy, escarole, endive, etc planted by the signs this week. We have basils and tomatoes started indoors. Raised beds are the way to go, a lot less work.

Offline Timo

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 01:10:06 am »
Got three beds 4' x 24' made, with two filled and ready to plant. Also made 4 other beds 4x9 that I have planted. Lettuce,beets are up. Set some broccoli plants, and tomatoes out this weekend. Might have to make me some covers for later this week. :-\

Try to get some updated pics this week.

Lombard

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 12:01:24 pm »
Cool Tim, looking forward to the photos. In addition to the two boxes we will be adding, we plant the area inside the blocks that circle the Pecan. The diameter is twelve feet. That is where we do the carrots, beets, and onions.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 08:46:13 pm »
I really like the looks of the cedar. I might have to split up some of the logs I have and make mine pretty. Here's a few pic's of my three little ones. Picked the third crop of beans today, tomatos coming along fine. All ready picked the mustard greens and they are seeding out along with the cilantro. Picked a few cabbage, time to pick some collards . Two bell peppers ready, onions almost and the habenero and jalopenos are blooming. And one Japanese egg plant.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:46:08 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida

Lombard

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 10:48:38 pm »
That looks awesome Eddie, and your making me hungry just talking about it. ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 11:07:06 pm »
Thanks, I'm going to plant some more Kentucky Blue Pole beans and okra real soon. If you can see the 4"  PVC sticking up, that's something FLcubanredneck showed me. There are four of them 2' deep with 3/4 inch holes drilled in them under ground. They are full of fresh cow manure. I then dumped a cup of fishing worms in each ones. They now travel back and forth through the garden feeding and pooping, thus fertilizing everything underground. I put all the table scraps in the pipes that is not meat products to keep them fed. It has really helped and I have bait when I want to fish.
Lakeland, Florida

Lombard

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 11:19:11 pm »
That is a twist on composting that I've never heard of. I'm intrigued.

Offline deiselbrown

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 08:56:43 am »
     Man you guys are spoiled. My garden dosen't look like that until august here in michigan.

Offline Polar Bear

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 07:48:27 pm »
Another idea you might try for limited space gardening is container gardening.  My wife and I haven't found too much that doesn't do well.  Just be sure to get the right size containers for your crops.
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 12:53:49 am »

Polar Bear, that is like the old  "Victory" Gardens during WW2.  Window flower boxes, and whatever other containers that they could plant something in. With the prices of produce going up like it is I think more people are going to rediscover them, real soon. ;)

Wayne