Author Topic: Square Foot Gardening?  (Read 7979 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Square Foot Gardening?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2011, 10:56:02 am »
   My granddad put out a major garden every year. And aways had a few raised beds he's baby along. These were is favorite. he always planted totally oganic.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 11:35:29 am »
I have onions, lettuce, and spinach up and growing now. It'll be about three more weeks before I can plant peppers, maters, squash and such here, still frosting. I have some heirloom mater plants started, and always grow a buttload of hot peppers-jalapenos, serranos, habaneros, cayenne, poblano, along with red and yellow bells. I have some seed for the little wild chiltepin/pequin peppers that I got from Skyarrow, gonna try some of those this year, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 02:36:55 am »
always grow a buttload of hot peppers-jalapenos, serranos, habaneros, cayenne, poblano, along with red and yellow bells.
Ill bet that is uncomfortable.....  :-X
My tomatoes, peppers, onions and squash are doing pretty good. I have tomatoes that are 2 inch diameter already. I need to do a little work in the garden tomorrow, maybe I can get a few pictures.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Lombard

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 10:17:01 pm »
Cool beans Justin, looking forward to seeing your photos. This raised bed gardening is new to us this year, and we are learning all the time. Photos of what other folks are doing help us along, and give us ideas for improvements. I split some more cedar, and built another box this morning. My wife and I mixed up our soil, equal parts by volume, peat moss, course vermiculite, and blended compost, then got some more plants in. 

Hillbilly, sounds like some spicy mix there. Do you can your own salsa and such?

Lombard

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 05:18:11 pm »
Latest photo update. Those potatoes have really sprung up. I've been gone for two weeks, and really need to hill them.

The potatoes, and green beans that are planted out front are really taking off also.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 09:54:40 pm »
Wow! that is coming on nicely. I've never tried to grow potato's, it might be too hot here. I'm haveing to pull up a lot of stuff that is seeding out and plant things that will grow in the 90 to 100's we will be going into soon.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Timo

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2011, 10:25:38 am »
Looks good! ;)

Don't forget raised beds need more water than conventional gardening.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2011, 05:40:34 pm »
I just harvested my collards today. I've got a 7 gallon pot 3/4 full cooking right now. I'll bag and freeze them after they are done. I just noticed that my Mustard Greens are coming back up again from when they seeded out a couple of months ago along with some Cilantro. I love plants that just keep on giving. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2011, 02:24:36 pm »
My raised beds are all coming along just great.Mustard,turnips,spinich,lettuce,onions,garlic,strawberries,raspberries,rhubarb,peas. I have a six foot x six foot greenhouse and stuff is just going nuts in there,daytime temps. in there are in the 80's and everything is zooming.All the peppers and tomatoes,cucumbers, summer squash,etc. will be ready for setting out in a couple of weeks. My eight years in Alaska and not having my own place until this year I am finally planting again and realized how much I have missed it. I am tilling up about a third of an acre of pasture to plant potatoes,corn,greenbeans,onions,squash,cabbages. Kinda going crazy and will have much more than my wife and I can consume. Will have to put a sign out on the road and hope folks wanna buy the extra. Might also try some farmers markets. Regardless,will not need to buy produce until who knows when. Chickens will eat good, pheasants and quail will be eating too. Back in the 70's,my dad and I embraced alot of the Mother Earth News/Emerging organic methods, 80's and 90's I was a square foot gardener it taught me alot.All my stuff is organic. Controlling weeds is really easy for a square footer and raised beds.I think my third acre truck garden will be a challenge,but I will try and just expand the square foot techniques of compost and mulching. It sure is cutting into my fishing.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington