Author Topic: Anxious for the Snow to Flieth! (Skiiers and snowboarders)  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Alpinbogen

Anxious for the Snow to Flieth! (Skiiers and snowboarders)
« on: December 08, 2010, 11:04:44 pm »
Any other skiiers or snowboarders anxiously awaiting to rage on fresh snow?  Our local mountain opens this weekend, and I can't wait.  I made final tweaks with a bootfitter this week and tuned my board tonight.  The opening coincides with the last day of general deer season here, which I plan to forego to snowboard.  I intend to get in as many days as possible with a season pass.  Pic and clips from seasons past.  Praise to Ullr!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBQ6s1rf4pg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIzuXCBM5LE

Offline Jesse

Re: Anxious for the Snow to Flieth! (Skiiers and snowboarders)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 12:09:00 am »
looking  foreword to it but Im a newbie. Were supposed to get a big storm Saturday :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 01:06:19 pm »
I love snow resorts. Hot tubs , Fireplaces and hot toddies, Snow bunnies, Don't need a season pass or any expensive equiptment.
Go out on the slopes ? You gotta be nuts ! ;D  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 10:26:36 pm »
  I miss the playing in the snow, not working in it.

I got married in '77 and moved to Glenwood Springs, co. I was a hard core East Coast surfer and water skier when I tried snow skiing at Aspen Mnt for the first time. I busted my butt all day but it was fun.

Then I got to try out something new, a ski board made by a Florida surfboard builder, Dewey Webber. I had a ball on the Moguls at Vail. I haven't done it since,but would like to.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 10:52:21 pm »
Haven't been snowboarding or skiing since I left Maine :'(.  Too expensive out here.  Used to ski all the darn time.  Got a season pass as a student for $150.  I'd have to pay that for a day here....
Nate Danforth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 11:28:37 pm »
 Aspen Mountain was $45 the first time for ski rental and free the second for packing snow. I wouldn't pay the price now. The ocean is free and warm. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 07:07:13 pm »
Phenomenal opening weekend!  Best in years.  75% of the local hill open, with fantastic packed powder.  Took two runs on a green slope to find my groove, then hit the blues and blacks.  Had my freecarving dialed in by run four, like I rode yesterday.  I'll never get over the sensation of weighting / unweighting, and the love of G-force.  Still need new boot tweaks, which I'm hoping I can manage on my own with some footbed elevation.  Didn't ride a full first day to spare my thighs.  Rain is forecast tomorrow, then a solid week of bitter cold, which will be perfect for the mountain to blow snow and open more terrain.  At home now, with my kids and a Warren Miller flick on TV.  Life is good.   ;D

Sidebar:  Warren's crew skiied with the natives in Mongolia.  The natives made their own wooden skiis from split staves and glued horsehair on the bases for traction on ascents.  Why does that sound so familiar?

Mullet, Im dying to get back to Colorado and big mountain powder, but not likely this year...  Beach trips are an annual affair, though, and are good, too.   ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:24:54 pm by Alpinbogen »