Author Topic: little phoenix bow  (Read 4732 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
little phoenix bow
« on: December 12, 2010, 05:40:52 pm »
This is a bow I made a few years ago, one of the first laminated bows I tried. I never did like it very much, it was too wide, heavy, the poundage was too light, and it was just plain sluggish. I also put some veneer on it back then, that turned out to be a failed experiment. The veneer cracked, was not glued properly I guess. Anyway, I pulled it from the basement this week and cut it down to 1.25" wide, it's 63" long, 40# @ 28" and a lot of fun to shoot. I started to sand off the veneer and decided to leave some of the veneer in tact, the random color changes create a nice camo pattern. Also when I was retillering it, the tip delaminated a little. I did fix it, and it shoots great. That would make the second time it escaped the fire pit, hence the name phoenix. This is my first bow posting, hope you all like it. 
Rockford, MI

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: little phoenix bow
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 05:48:50 pm »
thought I would post a couple more pics. And I forgot, it's walnut backed with maple.
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 05:51:44 pm »
Nice bow and good tiller. I've rescued a few of my earlier bows and found the "real" bow inside once I reworked them.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 05:53:07 pm »
Looks like it turned out pretty good to me!  That's a sexy arrow too!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 05:53:51 pm »
It may be a tad light, but there is nothing wrong with that tiller from what I can see.  I have a fondness for the Phoenix, often what comes from the ashes is the purified object you initially sought.  Nice work.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 06:13:15 pm »
Glad you did not give up on it.  In a similar vein, I recently finished an Algonkian replica that I figured was doomed.  I left the inner bark on while I roughed out the sides.  When I finally took off the inner bark it had borer tunnels all over the back..  I left it in the corner of the basement and sulked about it off an on for about two years keeping it to show folks what borers do to a stave.  Then one day I got frisky and decided to scrape the back clean of any burrows and keep on with it.  With the back violated ever so gently the darned thing shoots!  Yeah don't be too quick to give up.  Sometimes we need time to learn enough to figure out what to do.  Nice work.   

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 06:21:13 pm »
Thanks all!! That arrow is what happens when you let your six year old daughter pick out feathers, she giggles every time she sees Daddy shooting a pink arrow. It is a little light for my taste, but I think I'll gift it to a friend. I am a tattoo artist, and here pretty soon I'll be tattooing a phoenix on his back. It'll be his first bow with no stupid wheels on it, so I think the light poundage will work for him.  Thanks again everybody.

Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 06:21:44 pm »
Hey Tat-D,
      That bow has a great profile. Made a lot of bows from our Michigan Black Walnut (selfbows) and it's a great wood, bends a long ways and has good power (made some 60# under 60") anyway thats a good save and very good lookin bow to boot.
Rich

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 07:13:16 pm »
Nice looking bow. Well done tiller. What was the original width at the fades and the tips?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 07:37:18 pm »
looks like an awesome bow!  ive had my phoenix moment.  course the only thing left from the ashes were two siyahs, but they are finally on a bow that held! lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 08:03:48 pm »
The original width was 1.75" at the fades, and the venner on it was all cracked after a few dozen shots. Here is a pic of  the back now. Like I said I kinda liked the patchwork look of the remaining veneer. Plus I thought it would be good to save some of it's battle scares. ;)
Rockford, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 09:28:37 pm »
  Great save! Chris Cade won BOM a few years ago with the bow he named Phoenix. They keep resurrecting from the ashes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 09:52:24 pm »
Nice bow Dave!
Frank from Germany...