Author Topic: Ironwood  (Read 2549 times)

PeteDavis

Ironwood
« on: December 19, 2010, 09:26:15 pm »

When bowyers talk about ironwood, are they looking at eastern hophornbeam (oystra) or hornbeam (carpinus or blue beech)?

I have tons of hophornbeam here on the farm and some of them look real good for staves.

PD

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
Re: Ironwood
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 09:39:57 pm »
Well that's the thing about common names, you can never really know. Should we all switch to latin? haha.
all kidding aside, usually I think people talk about hophornbeam Ostrya virginiana. It's great bow wood and, as you said, they can come in nice long straight staves. I have seem a few hornbeam Caprinus caroliniana bows around here but that tree is often gnarly and has twisted grain.
If you have a good supply of Ostrya, you have a lot of bow wood on your hands.

Cheers
Matt
Quebec, Canada

PeteDavis

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:46:16 pm »

Wow, I walked the property today, six miles, through a lot of relatively well-drained sites with fair soil. I found hundreds of these. I think I'll find the best two and cut and split them out. We also have tons of hickory and black locust but the HHB has me intrigued.

PD

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 02:57:50 am »
I'm working on one now at Twin Oaks.  I love the wood and how it is shaping up.  Pappy said it one of the best pieces of wood he's seen when he gave me the stave. 
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 07:17:51 am »
Not Blue beach,it is a great white wood for sure,just watch when you cut it that the bark runs pretty straight up and down the trunk,it is bad about being spiraled and if it is it will propeller bad when it is split. So pick and chose your trees just like you do with most woods. Jon's piece is very clean,most have some character to deal with. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good