Author Topic: northwest coast bows, kwakiutl  (Read 5445 times)

slade.jason

northwest coast bows, kwakiutl
« on: January 04, 2011, 05:07:59 am »
does anybody have any experience making kwakiutl bows?  Volume one of the Bowyer's Bible has a section on northwest coast bows, and a drawing of what i presume is a museum specimen of a kwakiutl bow.  I'd love to have a look at it in person, or at least learn which museum its in, but the piece isn't referenced.  Its in Steve Allely's section.  I've just broken a kwakiutl-style bow in tillering, ended up with a hinge forming close to the handle.  Any advice on tillering wide-limbed bows?  Thanks
Jason

Offline aaron

Re: northwest coast bows, kwakiutl
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:09:58 pm »
I have seen a kwakiutl bow in action at the glass buttes knap-in. It was made by steve allely, and for those unfamiliar with this style- it gets wider towards the tip. Here's a photo, not a very good illustration of the shape, though. I don't have much advice on it, but if you are in the pacific northwest, you could always come to the glass buttes knap in (end of march) - steve is usually there for a day or two, as well as others who might be able to help. I guess the trick is to get the wide tips bending, probably leave the handle almost rigid...
I may have some more pictures, but can't find them.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:37:39 pm »
 I agree with Aaron on his imput. I have seen this bow up close as well as manny others that Steve has made and mosty are true to form replicas. If you can ake it to the Glass butte knappin. you will probabbly see several styles of NW bows. It's a very cold knappin but worth it.
  Also note that that is is belly of the bow tht is shown. ;)

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 05:16:53 pm »
I would love to see more of these bows. I'm an Oregon kid and have a real soft spot for those little bows.
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Offline Silent Bear

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:15:28 pm »
I like this bow, I am interested in attending the glass butte knap in where is it going to be at ?

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 10:10:21 pm »
the glass buttes knap in is near Burns, OR, east of bend. it is an unusual event in that there are no set start or end dates, no one "in charge" ,  no fee, no schedule, no website...
etc...
but the dates traditionally coincide with spring break for oregon universities, which are march 21-25 this year, so most people will go between march 18-27.
I have been going for about 12 years and encourage (almost) anyone to go.
some things to keep in mind:
1. it's out on a dirt road in the high desert with no facilities except port-a-potties (we all chip in for the potties)- bring everything including water.
2. temps are typically 45 daytime and 25 night (plus or minus 20).
3. site is not dog-friendly due to lots of piles of debitage and unattended campsites.

go east on 20 out of bend, then hang a right at mp77 and follow the main dirt road a few miles.

look me up if you go- i'm in the tent with the mammoth!
aaron

Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 11:07:42 pm »
I will be there.  great place to meet other bowyers and knappers.  Hope to see you there.  Steve does have some amazing bows.

Tell
Tell Riley

slade.jason

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 03:33:42 am »
does anybody know how to contact steve allely?  I don't think I can make it to the knap-in, but I'd like to know where he found the specimen.  I'm in BC, and I'm thinking it might be up here somewhere.

Offline aaron

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:41:19 am »
he lives in sisters, OR.... don't have his #
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 01:46:52 pm »
I already made plans with the wife and kid to go to the coast on Spring break or I would be there. I would love to meet up with some local PA folks. Next year I guess.
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!