Author Topic: My little display  (Read 2119 times)

Offline aznboi3644

My little display
« on: December 18, 2010, 06:00:59 pm »
hey just wanted to show off my nooby archery display in my living room.  Excuse my roomates head lol hes playing Grand Turismo 5...which is awesomely realistic.

Its just a 48" red oak d bow that I retired and some arrows...all are shoot shafts I have collected this summer and fall....mostly viburnum. 

The green one on the top right is some common bush around here that is perfect for arrows...has lots of straight shoots with little branches...its hollow also.  The bush has small white flowers with red berries...leaves are paddle shaped with pointed ends.

I remember the first few viburnum shoots I straightened took about half and hour per shaft...now I can straighten a set relatively quickly.  I used to look at a curvy ugly shaft and think "how in the heck can this thing possibly turn into and arrow? its just too crooked".  But a few minutes later it will start to take shape...some of my friends cant believe how straight you can get an ugly crooked shaft.

Offline cracker

Re: My little display
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 09:08:23 am »
Very cool I've been thinking of doing something like that in my office.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:46:05 am »
very nice  8)
the wife is finishing up painting a room in the house for me
for just that purpose,to display my work.im accumulating too much to just leave scattered around now

just a little side note: i know its cool to display a bow like that.
                              however if you leave it on display strung like that its gonna develop some serious string follow.
                              i have an uncle who has a REALY old all wood flat bow,hes had it on display strung for years
                              now there isnt even any tension on the string,you can take it off and put it back on with out even putting pressure on the limbs
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 01:44:40 pm »
Nice display ! Now the skulls and feathers, a little drumming, some beverage and ?  ;D  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 02:46:03 pm »
Sailordad that bow is a 30lb @ 20" bow I made...I shot it for a few weeks...then decided to make it a permanent wall hanger.  Its been strung for a couple months now.  I'll take it down and unstring it now and then to check the set.  Its at about 2.5-3".  There is still decent string tension for being strung so long.