Author Topic: Need bowyers opinions on a tool Bowyers edge or Dean Torges bowyers rasp?  (Read 11203 times)

Offline Alpinbogen

Re: Need bowyers opinions on a tool Bowyers edge or Dean Torges bowyers rasp?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 07:50:25 pm »
I use my Bowyer's edge quite a bit early to mid tillering, but put it away for chasing final tiller.  The nice thing about a Bowyer's Edge over an ordinary scraper is that is has a flat sole that tends to prevent gouging at knots and grain swirls.  It may still chatter, but won't dig in.  The blade MUST be sharpened and burnished very well for it to work properly, but it's a dream when tuned up.  Because of the frequent sharpening needed, I tend to use my Mystik scraper more than the Bowyer's Edge.  It sharpens faster and alot easier with just a broadhead file, but I have to be careful that I don't repeatedly gouge wood at the tough spots.  Tradeoffs.  I'd love to get my hands on his rasp, too.  I also use #49 and #50 Nicholsons alot, alternating with a Bowyer's Edge or scraper.  The rasp takes off wood and removes scraper nicks and gouges, and the Bowyer's Edge or scraper removes the rasp marks.  The tools compliment each other.  Since that particular rasp is supposed to leave a smooth surface, I'd opt for that over the Bowyer's Edge, site unseen.

I sometimes use a farriers rasp as well, but only for the roughest work, before the bow is even floor tillered.  It creates such deep furrows, that I consider it useful for only the roughest of work.  Even the "smooth" side leaves an abhorent surface.  More often than not, I go straight from a drawknife or bandsaw to a long handled Surfeform rasp, which is still a "rough" tool, but not so much as a farriers rasp.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:55:32 pm by Alpinbogen »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 10:32:41 pm »

I sometimes use a farriers rasp as well, but only for the roughest work, before the bow is even floor tillered.  It creates such deep furrows, that I consider it useful for only the roughest of work.  Even the "smooth" side leaves an abhorent surface.  More often than not, I go straight from a drawknife or bandsaw to a long handled Surfeform rasp, which is still a "rough" tool, but not so much as a farriers rasp.
Just like any tool, you have to learn to use it. I have tillered bows with a farriers rasp then gone straight to sanding with 80 grit. I can make it pretty darn smooth with the course side of the rasp.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline John K

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 10:39:58 pm »
Farriers rasp and draw knife are the 2 main tools i use. Love my Farriers rasp !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Little John

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 11:03:39 pm »
Farriers rasp and good scraper for me. Planner blades from a saw mill make the best scrapers hands down.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Aaron W

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 01:08:29 am »
I have Dean's Bowyer's Edge and his rasp and like them both.  If I had to chose I would go with the rasp...it is a great tool and I use it on every bow I make.  I am a big fan of Dean's...he got me started with his books and videos.  The Bowyer's Edge is a challenging tool for me...trying to set it up just right is a pain and in the end I use the cabinet scraper more than the Edge.  He used to recommend the Nicholsen files and he designed the rasp to address shortcomings of the #49 and #50.  I have both of them and use all three when making bows.  I have a Farrier's rasp...its rusty...Overall, I would choose the rasp he makes as my one tool if I had to choose.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 06:52:09 am »
I have a lot of scrapers and rasps from my woodworking/carving days and use them now for bowmaking. For me, a farriers rasp works great for really gettin' the stave roughed out. The #49 is a cabinet makers rasp and a sharp one can't be beat for working on a bow. I use the scrapers as well but the scraper that I tend to use the most is just a knife that I made out of an old power hacksaw blade...
JMHO

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 07:34:24 am »
I have the Bowyers Edge and use it very little any more. It works real good on soft wood but I can't keep mine sharp any more. I can't get an edge on it like it was when it was new. Go with the rasp. Dean

Offline bcbull

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 08:52:49 am »
dont own a nichlosen file or a bowyers edge i use a farriers rasp and a mystic scraper a few cheaper scrapers and some flea mkt files  i get buy fine

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 12:05:09 pm »
All I use is a farriers rasp and homemade scrapers of various shapes sizes and materials. You don't have to spend lots of money on hand tools for this hobby. I agree with Justin. I can make wood very smooth with a farriers rasp. You just have to learn how to use it correctly.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline artcher1

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 01:29:30 pm »
I think Dean's rasp is probably great for advanced bowyers where substantial amounts of wood can be expertly removed. Only seen a picture of his tool but it appears to me to be somewhat more aggressive than the farrier's rasp. But even a farrier's rasp is going to be intimidating to a beginner. But like some of the other have stated, you can get your work rather smooth and gouge free with the rasp.

I made up a knockoff version of Dean's bowyers edge but never really liked the thing........Art

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 01:49:01 pm »
IMO you'll get a bulk of your work done with the rasp. The Bowyer's Edge is a finesse tool. Yes, you have to keep the scraper sharp/burnished and adjusted, but once you've gotten good at doing that, it's a great tool. I use it to chase rings or remove tool marks and bring the belly into tiller as it gets closer. I finish tillering with sand paper on a slab of wood.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 07:06:39 pm »
   Try everything else but I  always came back to a rasp and eye glass out of glasses for a scraper. Nothing better for getting down in the low spots of the back of the bow.These two things aways worked best for me.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING