Author Topic: Osage bow layout?  (Read 9101 times)

Offline snag

Osage bow layout?
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:34:40 pm »
If I'm wanting to shoot for 55#, plus or minus 5#, in an osage pyramid bow what dimensions should I use?
64" NTN, 1.25" wide handle, 4" long handle, 1.5" at the fades for 12", narrow to 5/8" at the nock....? Or
should I just evenly taper from the fades out to the nocks? Should the limbs be wider at the fades? 1.75"?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline snag

Re: Osage bow layout?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:26:05 pm »
???? What do you think????

Offline snag

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 10:07:15 pm »
37 lookers....no one wants to jump in though....haha   

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:11:22 pm »
due,give people a chance
your first post was at 5:45 pm tonight
this is your second response to your own post and its only 7:47 pm
not everyone has the answer to your question
personally o wouldnt know the ansower for  a pyramid style osage bow either

dont realy understand why you would want to use a perfectly goos piece of hedge for a pyramid style bow either
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline snag

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 11:43:29 pm »
Well there you go sailordad. That's the kind of input that is helpful. I thought out of 37 people looking in there was a whole lot more knowledge than what I have (zero) in how to lay out this bow. Guess I'm just too eager!  ;D

Offline 1776J

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 12:06:58 am »
Well there you go sailordad. That's the kind of input that is helpful. I thought out of 37 people looking in there was a whole lot more knowledge than what I have (zero) in how to lay out this bow. Guess I'm just too eager!  ;D

Yes,... very eager!  Haha,...!!  ;)  I've done the same in the past with similar things, just itching to know stuff, etc.
Just be very patient,... especially when working with Osage,... let it teach you and don't rush things. (All advice passed to myself)

There are a lot of great fellows on here, and yes, it may take time to get the ball rolling for the answers you're in need of.  Be sure though, when the right guy
sees it, you will be helped.  Just make sure you never jump the gun and get frustrated when no one rushes to answer, it will just frustrate those who may otherwise have gladly
helped you....and don't get frustrated with your project.  When it ceases to be fun,..lay it aside.  Walk away and return later or the next day.

Like I said, I've been blessed by the help I've been given here,... and I'm a new guy like yourself.  You'll be happy with the majority of those you'll find here.

Keep us updated as you go with your bow. :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 12:09:01 am »
Whaddya expect, snag. The Celtics are on. I would go no wider than 1.5 in. 4-5 in handle 1.5-2 in fades. In the final analysis the width depends on the thickness of the rings and the amount of knots. By definition if you want to make a pyramid bow you have to go fades to 3/8-1/2 inch nocks. I almost never handcuff my self to a design like that. I go parallel to just past mid limb. I narrow as I tiller depending on how the stave is responding to wood removal. I don't want the limbs getting to thin. Also don't forget that your center line should follow the lateral grain. Picture perfect lines are good for fg bows but not so good for selbows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline 1776J

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:09:52 am »
Whaddya expect, snag. The Celtics are on.

Hahaha,...
 ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 12:14:07 am »
I like my handles 1 3/8 in wide; 1.5 in thick...unless I want narrowed handles to bend. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snag

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 12:16:59 am »
Didn't know George....priorities, right? haha  Good advice...that's what I need.

1776J, THAT'S the little beauty I want to make! Wow!

Sorry to all that felt I was being over the top or something....just have some time and can't
wait to work on this piece of wood.
Thanks, David

Offline bcbull

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 12:23:28 am »
DOWN BOY DOWN PULL IN UR HORSES   U LL GET UR AWNSER ID DO LIKE GEORGE SAYS BUT I LIKE MY NOCKS 3/8  MAYBE EVEN 1/4 DEPENDING ON THE BOW AND UR GONNA  HAVE TO DO SOME BENDIN  IF YA WANT A BOW LIKE THAT  GOOD LUCK  BROCK

Offline broketooth

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 07:19:01 am »
snag, i did a pyramid design in my bow( 2 peice selfbow  first try) its just a straight taper from fades to tip. take a look its here on p.a. best of luck to ya on your new project. ruddy

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 08:10:41 am »
bcbull,you don't have to yell.  ;):) :) I lay most of of mine out [if the wood allows] 62-64 n-n
4 inch handle 1 1/4  long fads  ,limbs 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 to mid limb,then tapper to the tips,start at about 3/8 and then thin to less than that when the bow is tillered. Some leave the tip wide to start but with Osage I never do ,if it don't line up in the handle like I want I just heat bend and make it line up,Osage resonce great to heat bending. I have made some pyramid with Osage but not very ofter,to much measuring off center line for me.I do most pyramid on straight grain wood where all you have to do is pop a line. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Frode

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 11:26:08 am »
Got a picture of the stave, snag?
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline snag

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 11:32:50 am »
I took a draw knife to it just a bit to get a feel for osage. Wow! I love this wood. The feel of how chips come off
the stave..."like butter".  It is a special wood for sure. Somewhere in that stave is a bow....it is up to me to let it
come out.

Pappy, I think I'll go with the 64"ntn. Is there a way to determine ahead of time how much poundage you will
arrive at? Do you just start out with the limbs a little thicker and work them down?  What thickness should the limbs
start out at? I think the hazelnut bow I am working on (have it tillered to 25" now) has limbs that are about 7/8" at the fades and progressively thinner out to the point.   

Thanks guys, David