Author Topic: need a new barrel  (Read 1847 times)

Offline recurve shooter

need a new barrel
« on: December 25, 2010, 12:10:15 pm »
ok i have my dad's old .45 bp rifle. i think its one of the traditions kits, but it has a pin hole drilled to high in the barrel and it was drilled into the bore, pluss it was shot then stored loaded and dirty for years, so the bore is beyond saveing. i would like to get a new barrel for it, just a drop in cuz im not a craftsman, or a mettal worker. ya know, sights or at least the grooves already in, all the pin holes drilled and the drum for the nipple already on, breech plug already fitted in, ect. just a drop and go barrel. i would like 40 or 38 cal. its going to go to a good friend of mine for his first traditional rifle. the barrel is 33 1/2 inches long, and the only writeing on it is "junkar, spain" and of course bp only and a serial number. any advice is greatly appriciated, and merry christmass everyone!!!
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: need a new barrel
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 02:59:41 pm »
 Check out a Dixie Gun Works catalogue or Navy Arms, for a start.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 10:29:33 pm »
thanks, will do.
lets just shoot it

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 03:15:31 am »

Mullet done took the words right out of my keyboard!  ;D  Dixie has a large selection of barrels, of various makers.  Gee, you would think someone would have told you that BP was addictive...... ::)

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 04:44:53 pm »
I believe it should read "Jukar", but Junkar is more like it.  They had some serious problems with quality control and many of them had blown out breech plugs over the years.  Glad to know this barrel is getting replaced.  If you have a problem getting around the huuuuuuge catalog they have, you can always call them.  In my experience, they are some pretty decent people to work with. 

A good friend of mine passed a few weeks ago and we took his old Traditions Deer Hunter .50 caplock apart and reconditioned it.  Took it out deer hunting yesterday just so I could spend time with Paul again.  It was a good day.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.