Author Topic: Some wood working  (Read 5264 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Some wood working
« on: December 24, 2010, 09:51:44 pm »
I'm slacking on making bows  ::) ::)

But I'm trying to learn to make rifle stocks, didn't know if i was going to pull it out and didn't want to lose too much money in wood so i used Poplar for this one.

Shaping is pretty much done, I'm at 100 grit stage, I will do some serious sanding on this one than stain it and finish, I think it should come out pretty good.

Thanks for looking
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Some wood working
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 10:45:21 pm »
Sweet Job Manny.....now get started on my Thumbhole Benchrest Stock for my 7mm Weatherby Rifle!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 12:30:46 am »
Manny, that came out really nice. I've got one started I need to finish, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 12:45:43 am »
I think my 25.06 would look great setting in that one.  Need any measurements?  Great job.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 08:14:25 am »
drool......drool....drool...dream....drool ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline ohma

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 10:55:25 am »
that is lookin great manny,like to see it finished.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 11:10:38 am »
real nice
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 04:07:31 pm »
That's excellent Manny! I can't wait to see one made with your local guava ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 04:17:49 pm »
Ohhh, a snakey guava recurve/decurve thumbhole stock!

Seriously Manny, is there anything you aren't good at?  That is a fine looking piece of woodworking.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 01:18:08 pm »
Thanks guys,

I'm sending the action to a tuner for some work, that will give me 2 weeks to slowly sand this baby down, stain it and finish ( If I had the gun here I would probably rush it  :D :D )..and ruin it

Man, I really like woodworking, this was a great excersise and now that i know I can do it I'm already planning to go and get a piece of quality wood and start a new stock ( Poplar doesn't really do it  ;D ;D )

...Back to sanding  ;D ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 02:08:57 pm »
Awesome Manny,  I haven't posted on your high powered air gun thread but I love air guns. Been doing it since a youngster and have gone through a few RWS riffles over the years. Hope to get a more high dollar big bore someday.  Just got our son (Wade) his first air rifle for Christmass. We've been out shooting a little each day. ;D

Very nice work on the stock. How long is your stock?  I have a few pieces of fiddle back maple that are probably big enough for you.  ;)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 01:44:10 am »
Thanks Keenan, yeah airguns are a blast.

the stock is probably less than 25" ( don't have a tape mesure at the moment  ::) )

it needs to be 8"wide and in slats of max 1" ...you see, I don't have the capability to cut the inletting, so I have to laminate to a degree  ;)

Here's a link of the buildalong

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php/topic,5924.0.html

but if you have something interesting i would be willing to trade something, ....ever made that Guava bow ?
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 12:15:12 pm »
Hey Manny,  I like your buildalong on your stock, very good thinking outside of normal approach.   The pieces that I have are probably 3-4 inches thick and about 8 inches wide, I'll check later today. Could you still use something that thick? I think I may have some thinner (1") pieces of fiddle back.  Would love to get some more guava. Still have to get the one you sent finished but I'm loving the way it works and it sure is strong.
  I've  just been working on trying to finish promised bows that people have been waiting on. So since that bow is a personal bow it's been on the back burner. I'll let you know what I find in my pile.  Also there is a very well supplied exotic wood supply warehouse here in Bend. They often have zebra, bubinga,Cocabola, and just about everything. I could check there if you have a certain preference in mind.

Offline John K

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 12:43:56 pm »
Nice Manny ! Let me know if you'r interested in some Black Walnut  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 12:39:01 am »
Allright  ;D ;D ;D ...Wood trading  ;D ;D Keenan I have a good store here too with all those fancy woods, but trading has a special feeling to it  ;D ;D

The next  Stock I'll use a different method, instead of a 3 laminations it will be 2, inlet the action and then glue the 2 pieces, so Keenan ,yeah just a bit more work but 1 to 3 inches is allright, I mesured the stock today and it's 27", but 25 is good enought since I'll cap it.

Yeah John K, 8"x1-3"x25" of Black Walnut would be great.

It's being quite some times I'd gone out Harvesting Guava, I think I'm due  ;D ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII