Author Topic: Explinations for heat treating please?  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Explinations for heat treating please?
« on: December 28, 2010, 02:26:09 am »
I have Vine Maple, Cascara, Yew and Oceanspray im working with I got a new heat gun and have been doing some bending of seasoned staves with good results. My question to u all are, What are the puposes and uses of heat treating the belly of a bow? How will it affect the woods I named? and is there any good links to threads or info that will explain the process of heat treating a bow? Thank you all for replys in advance and please if u have any info on this matter at all please post it up thanks
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Grunt

Re: Explinations for heat treating please?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:22:23 am »
I've heat treated the bellys of several bows. I was looking to increase the compression strength of the wood of those bows. So far so good.s

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 10:35:47 am »
Heat treating can improve the compression properties of compression weaker woods.   In TBBIV, Marc St Louis wrote a chapter explaining the process and it's values. If you don't have this book it has lots of very good bow building info. You might be able to find it at your local library or maybe they can get it on inhouse loan from another library.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 12:49:27 pm »
ok ill try that thanks
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 02:27:48 pm »
I didn't really believe in heat treating at first because my initial tests didn't show any improvement and information seemed in short supply.
I made the mistake of heating too quick too fast and not allowing the wood time to re-hydrate.
Now I know it works, having bought a temperature controlled heat gun.
I found that between 350 and 400 degrees C was needed and it's a slow process (30-45mins per limb), also allow a couple of days minimum for the wood to recover, longer if you are somewhere with low humidity.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.