Author Topic: adding weigh to cane shaftst..  (Read 2047 times)

Offline aero86

adding weigh to cane shaftst..
« on: December 30, 2010, 01:27:51 am »
anyone ever purposely added weight to a shaft to match others?  had some shafts that all spined the same, 3 came in right around 400, one about 445, 2 others around 500.  i went ahead and made a match set out of them.  these had a 125 grain head, with a small wood plug at the nock, no fletchings yet. 

on my next batch, im wondering if i could add weight to bring the lower ones up to the higher ones.  i dont do any flight or distance shooting, so distance isnt that big of a deal.  im just trying my hand at making a matched set.  i dont have a lot of this material to work with, but its all spined within the same range.  just trying to make the right stuff.

i was thinking of using bb's.  they are small enough to fit inside cane, but they have enough weight to make a bit of difference.  i was thinking, adding it behind whatever point i use. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline wolfsire

Re: adding weigh to cane shaftst..
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:21:45 am »
Sometimes I add a serving of string with glue or wire to adjust the weight or remove mass from the ends of heavier ones but not in the center so as to not change the spine.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline IONIAN

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 02:19:39 pm »
When I use to make Tonkin Cane arrows, I would sort them by weight as close as I could get. When I had a matched dozen and they were within say 50 grains, I would add lead shot to the front end until I got the shafts within 5 grains, or less, of each other. I need to start writing articles for the magazine again I think. :)
"aim small, miss small"

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 04:19:58 pm »
thats what i was thinking ionian.  course i was thinking using bb's because i have a bunch already! lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 05:53:24 pm »
I have done a few that were to start with about 50 grains for a high/low.  On those, I dipped them in poly and each coat gave me about 12 grains.  So the lightest one got 4 coats, the next 3 and so on and they all came out within 5 grains of one another.  Just my way.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:40:50 pm »
Aero,I do it all the time. With a lot of my switchcane,the spine is sufficient,but too light in weight. You can dip with poly or paint,but I generally use brush on oil based paints to weight up the shafts.With a little practice,you can can nice even coats,that will usually increase weight by 20 grains or more per coat. If you need to add 100 grains,it's no big deal.JMHO  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

PeteDavis

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 11:20:27 pm »

I drilled the pith and inserted solid-core solder to front weight behind my stone points. Used a grain scale to weigh the segments.

It works and helps with overspined arrows.

PD