Author Topic: Lets talk D bows  (Read 29133 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Lets talk D bows
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2007, 09:49:38 pm »
Ya, Eddie thats the one. The only piece I ever worked....lol. It was a good shooter too. :-[ Yes, Pat she's no longer with us..... :'( Im trying to talk Pappy into cutting me some, its all over down there... :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2007, 10:21:43 pm »
  I'll see if I can find you a better piece than that one.Pat,Don't worry,The piece you have has hardly any knots.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2007, 10:41:12 pm »
Ryan, Did you notice all the posts holding up Pappy's sheds were ERC. Some nice big, straight ones too.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2007, 10:54:35 pm »
Pat, I noticed that. It was just sick and wrong to see them used like that with the size and how clean of knots they were.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2007, 11:02:04 pm »
Justin, The woods around Pappy's place were full of similar trees. There are lots of barns, sheds and fence lines made with ERC posts in the S. E. US.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2007, 11:22:54 pm »
We use the junipers around here for fence posts and barn posts. But you would be hard pressed to get a bow out of them because of the branches everywhere. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2007, 08:40:24 pm »
Thats ok Eddie, its not your fault, sometimes it just wasnt meant to be.
Pat, I did notice the posts.....lol. I even scolded Pappy for it.....Im suprized he didnt use osage...lol.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2007, 11:57:06 pm »
An osage post that size would weigh at least twice what the cedar does. ;)  Pappy's no dummy ::)!
...and it is rot resistant.
   You know, I'd bet you could split a stave or 2 off some of them post and not hurt a thing. ;D
     Pat

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2007, 12:26:10 am »
Oohh! Pappy wont like that!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2007, 01:28:33 am »
Pat, I thought about asking him if I could try that Southern California Native trick, where you split a stave from a live tree with horn wedges. There are some trees growing down there that had staves split out 100's of years ago.  Anyway, I wanted to try it with the post that was 2nd from the food shack on the back side of the eating area. The 3rd had more knots but would have worked OK, but that second had hardly any knots. Justin

SW Utah

Offline snedeker

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2007, 12:05:01 pm »
One can imatine how hard it would be to makea rigid narrow handle using a stone scraper, which is why that style appears so seldom in more primitive cultures. I recall Jamie doing one a few years ago with stone?  With the D, you can split a small diam. tree up in sparse staves and your most of the way there.
Dave

jamesw319

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2007, 06:08:14 pm »
made a hickery stave with  a D profile,,strong,durable,has alittle compresion on the belly side.other then that very pleased..now on a kick,wide and flat.will let you know how they compare...................jpw