Author Topic: Pitt River Atsugewi Shortbows  (Read 13888 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Pitt River Atsugewi Shortbows
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 01:29:05 am »
Silentbear I think you have been doing this a while, those look great. I too am curious how they feel in the hand. I would also like to see how they are shot. Is this with a pinch style and push pulled to the middle of the chest. Please explain. I also assume they are shorter draw length with those poundages because with the different style of shooting it does not require as long of a draw, is that correct?

I guess you being a bowmaker from the tribe whose style you are presenting would make these more than replicas, it woul make them the real deal only in todays generation. I am so glad that the internet has allowed those of us with the hunger to learn the opportunity. Without it I would have never gotten to see the fruits of your craft or share in the pride of your culture.  Thank you     Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Cacatch

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 09:59:00 am »
Sweet!  Could I ask you your recipe for making glue from sinew scraps? I tried once but evidently didn't do something right because all I kept getting was dirty water and I boiled the stuff down to almost non-existance. Thanks!

CP

Offline Silent Bear

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 10:23:49 pm »
The native shooting style is geared more to these bows than the conventional, I have a hard time shooting these bows with the conventional shooting style most people use. everything just seems awkward the bow seems to stack more in the hands and its hard to find a consistent anchor.

I believe these people developed this unusual style because it lends itself for shooting in tight spots and is more accurate at a short draw your arms are very tight against your body letting you hold arrows under your right armpit and you have a constant anchor at your chin this style just feels natural for these bows.

With light arrows I do not notice a difference in speed when comparing to a longbow

Sidewinder- Yes its a pinch style the thumb pinches down on the arrow and the index and middle pinch up the bow is set almost horizontal with the arrow resting on the right side of the handle the arrow is held between the thumb and index finger, the left arm pushes out and the right pulls in and you anchor the wristbone at the chin. I will try and get a picture up soon and it should better explain what I am trying to say.

Cacath- you want the glue to go to a simmer boiling will make it weak, it helps on time to chop it down as fine as you can before cooking it out

I am glad I am able to share my culture with you guys I didn't think many people had interest in this stuff
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:27:43 pm by Silent Bear »

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 10:48:27 pm »
I hope we get to see more of this! Keep up the good work! Quite inspirational. I will have to try to make something similar soon.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 11:05:41 am »
Thanks Sient Bear, I will look forward to seeing the pics when you get them up. There is another interesting site online as well that has attracted many throughout the world that have an interest in not only primitive archery but other primitve skills such as knapping, cordage, knife making atc.  If you have an interest PM me and I will send you think. I have not posted it here just in case itcould offend this sites owners. I have great respect for them and this site and do not want a conflict of interest in the event one even exists.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline uwe

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 12:52:29 pm »
Danny, if you want to have an idea of this shooting style, try to find a biography of ISHI. Different pics show this unique man and his or his tribes to shoot this bow.
A few weeks ago here was a thread about a "Yoü tube`s" film of the early `60ties, which show the way of making such bows as well as to shoot them. Films title was "Sinew backed Bow"? or something like this. The film shows how to make the sinew layer. What makes me wonder is, that he puts the sinew dry on the glued bow. I`ve learnt and did it always this way, to soak the water soaked tendons  with glue, strip? it through the fingers, because of too much glue and then lay it on the bows`back.
Silentbear, how do vou make it wet or dry?
Regards Uwe

Offline Silent Bear

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 08:59:37 pm »
Kviljo- thanks for the nice comments im happy that you were inspired by my work

Thanks Danny I will send you a pm

Uwe- I have seen this video, I myself was wondering the same thing all the tribes I have ever seen around here chew or soak it in warm water before applying it was strange to see him applying it dry. I soak the sinew in warm water a good 2 hours before applying I have backed bows by chewing and it seems to give similar results

Offline 1776J

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 11:32:09 pm »

I am glad I am able to share my culture with you guys I didn't think many people had interest in this stuff

Ohhh how wrong you were!!  hehehe....
 ;)
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline 1776J

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 11:35:12 pm »

A few weeks ago here was a thread about a "Yoü tube`s" film of the early `60ties, which show the way of making such bows as well as to shoot them. Films title was "Sinew backed Bow"? or something like this. The film shows how to make the sinew layer. What makes me wonder is, that he puts the sinew dry on the glued bow. I`ve learnt and did it always this way, to soak the water soaked tendons  with glue, strip? it through the fingers, because of too much glue and then lay it on the bows`back.
Silentbear, how do vou make it wet or dry?
Regards Uwe

That was me who posted that,...
here ya go if anyone else is interested in seeing it!
Enjoy!  :)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22844.0.html

Offline uwe

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 01:53:45 pm »
I`m "over 50"! Its allowed to me not to remember who it was exactly! ;D ;)

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 03:48:21 pm »
Love this style of bow. Thanks for sharing silentbear. For some of us this is kind of an obsession  ;D
Its only wood

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2011, 03:01:53 pm »
...missed your bowlast month for BOM contest but I have it bookmarked for the January Contest... Really nice bend for such a short bow, great work!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln