Author Topic: NC Rhyolite points  (Read 3075 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Re: NC Rhyolite points
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 12:05:04 am »
I really appreciate the response from everyone. Breaking rock is lots of fun and rewarding. The top point is some of the green shade that was given to me several years ago, but never worked it. The rest of it is a blackish gray that Bryan and I found near Asheboro. It will occasional break with that "tink" sound and that is nice. I have a little obsidian and some glass, but I believe I like Rhyolite best. Seems to fit my personality, I can hit it harder.. ;D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

JustinNC

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 12:09:30 am »
Lyman I'm taking my rhyolite back, I got ripped off, I've looked and looked for those points in my pile but I can't find em. I think they ripped me off ;D

That's inspiration at its best to keep trying. Thanks for posting up good examples of that nc rock.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 12:39:17 am »
Justin that is funny. I must say I have read your posts and you are learning the ABO way. I am using copper and I believe it is easier in some ways. Figure I will learn with copper then go to the next level, but I admire your desire.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

JustinNC

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 12:46:05 am »
Thanks, I'm trying. I've been told copper doesn't do that well with it, guess it does. I need to go get some more before hot weather, at least to get me through til fall.

I figure if I learn abo, I'll have an excuse for shotty work lol

I really would like to be able to take one deer (or more) one day with a bow made from local wood harvested and worked with stone tools from start to finish and same with arrows, using feathers I find (thinking good primaries in the summer when they molt since I don't turkey hunt). So that's why I'm starting knapping abo. Until I get that down, ill keep at the bows with modern saws and stuff.