Author Topic: Best stone to learn with  (Read 2578 times)

Offline tetaxidermy

Best stone to learn with
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:59:44 pm »
I have  a bunch of glass that I've been colecting, and made one point that is pretty crappy. What is the easiest stone to learn on? I made some antler tools and found a nice hammer stone. What stones would be around in central Illinois, we have lots of streams and creeks to hunt for rocks, but not sure what to look for. Any suggestions? Thanks Eric
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Best stone to learn with
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:24:25 pm »
The best stone to learn on is raw, high-grade chert or flint. IMO

I made crappy points from glass too.  It takes a LOT of time to get good at it.  Glass is an excellent and cheap material to learn on but it can be extremely frustrating because it's so brittle and weak.  It's also VERY SHARP... and all those little chips and shards drive me crazy.

The only way to know if you have good flint in your area is to start breaking the local rock.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:20:52 pm »
 I think Free stone is the best to learn on.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 05:39:37 pm »
I'd have to agree with free, going to see what I can find when the weather breaks again. Be fishing time soon, can look for rocks and sticks while waiting for the bobber too go down.
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 05:52:58 pm »
I was in Decatur,IL for awhile and didn't find much in the way of chert. I read most all the rocks you find there are what they call glacial till and among them are some odds and ends of chert washed down eons ago from somewhere. Also read there is some chert in the southern and western part of the state but never chased any of it down. Glass, tile and of course free are all good :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 04:48:27 am »
Tile? like ceramic tile?
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline cowboy

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 06:35:15 pm »
I'm not sure about ceramic tile. Seems like that would be kinda like toilet tanks but I imaging a little tougher. There is glass tile out there if you can find it - works real good, but I don't know where to get it. I had a few peices handed to me one time..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 07:26:57 pm »
I have  a bunch of glass that I've been colecting, and made one point that is pretty crappy. What is the easiest stone to learn on? I made some antler tools and found a nice hammer stone. What stones would be around in central Illinois, we have lots of streams and creeks to hunt for rocks, but not sure what to look for. Any suggestions? Thanks Eric

Anything you can sneak into Cowboy's back yard and get without gunshots or dog bites occuring.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 08:26:26 pm »
Haha ;D :D! Don't worry, just pick a time when I'm not home and you won't have to worry about the weiner dog gettin ya ;D. I just saw a big picture tube on the side of the road at lunch - think I'll go back with a hammer...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 08:33:36 pm »
 I think you be talking about the antique glass tile I gave you. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 09:48:14 pm »
Someone else's rock ;D Look for knapp-inns and/or knappers in your area and there will be some info on were to get something to hit.Most knappers I've met are generous with their knowedge and if things are going your way you'll be leaving with rock
Venice Florida

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 04:31:01 am »
Ah, glass tile that makes sense. I'll have to look for some local knappers and mabey get some pointers and get off on the right foot. thanks guys.
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 03:17:59 pm »
I'd say whatever you decide to start with is what you should use for a while.  That way, you can figure things out consistently.  I switched from hard to soft to medium rock and ended up destroying too much quality rock because I didn't have the basics down before I moved to the higher grade rock.  I started by pressure flaking to understand platforms and abrading, then moved to billets.

Besides working local rhyolite, I bought buckets of Pedernales from Texas (which is slightly similar in hardness) and developed consistent billet flaking before I moved forward from there. Like most everyone else said, inexpensive is the way to go.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 06:46:23 pm »
You are about 2 and a half hours north of me. I have found some rock in the creeks over near mt. Sterling area, but you need to know the locals. I wish it was easier to pick up round hear, but if you go to kanppins you stand a good chance of runnin into generosity.