Author Topic: Tool Question  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Bernhard Langbogen

Tool Question
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:29:10 am »
Hi folks,

I am interested to know what kind of tools (spokeshave, hand-planes) you use.
Especially what manufacturer (Stanley, Lie-Nielsen).

I always used the Anant spokeshave and hand planing.
But I am no longer satisfied and would like to buy better tools. Who uses tools from Stanley, Lie-Nielsen or Veritas?

Bernhard

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:33:36 am by Bernhard Langbogen »

Offline Parnell

Re: Tool Question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 10:56:19 am »
I have a Stanley surform rasp that I use frequently.  Metal scrapers of different shapes.  My band saw, of course.  It's a Craftsman from the 1980's.  Antique tools always seem to be of much better quality.  The steel from China just doesn't seem to hold up as well.
My spokeshaves and such I've collected from garage sales, antique shops, that type of thing over the years.  In Austria, what would be the primary brand for powertools - just curious?
1’—>1’

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:00:44 am »
I use a Pfiel swiss made draw knife, Stanly surform, a Kunz spokeshave, a lot of different rasp, and Lynx cabinet scrapers.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:34:46 am »
for me  the lie nessin is the very best out there but be ready to spend some serious dough  i have 2 of em wouldnt trade em for anything brock

Offline Bernhard Langbogen

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:53:11 am »
In Austria, what would be the primary brand for powertools - just curious?

In Europe we have in contrast to the USA a 220 volt power supply. In Austrian we use primary Makita or Bosch.
Craftsman (companies) but most use Elu and Dewalt. Very expensive but very durable and strong.

Offline anton

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:21:04 pm »
i have spent a lot of money on veritas and lie nielsen tools.  they are expensive but worth every penny.. fortunately for bowmaking not that many of them are useful so the investment can be more minimal.  One of my first purchases was a lie nielsen small bronze scraper plane with a toothing blade.  this is a great plane for flattening bamboo slats.  for christmas this year I got myself a veritas sraper shave and although I have not tillered a bow yet.. it is a real beauty, and seems to do a wonderful job. I have owned the dean torges bowyers edge,  and was incredibly disappointed, because the brass parts kept popping off and the scrape was inconsistent. the veritas blade angle works so that it drags more like a cabinet scraper instead of leaning into the grain which causes tear out and chatter .. which is the way the bowyers edge is made. here is a link for the veritas
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,310&p=54883

also I love vintage stanleys they take a little tuning but the pre-world war stuff is very well made.. My very favorite spokeshave is a stanley #53 which has a funky adjustable mouth that works great.  I would say better than a lie nielsen and you can get them for 20-30$ on ebay.

Nicholson coarse cut rasps are a must have as well.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 04:39:03 pm »
I purchase all my bowmaking tools from Lee Valley Tools. Google their website, and check out their high quality hand tools. Once you've worked with good tools, you never go back, and end up asking yourself why you didn't a long time ago!