Author Topic: Nice Red Oak board  (Read 3241 times)

Offline NTProf

Nice Red Oak board
« on: January 19, 2011, 10:55:25 pm »
Posting pictures can be hit or miss with me, so hopefully this works. Went to Home Depot yesterday to look for a 1x3 red oak board to make a pyramid bow. I sorted through a stack of about 15 and they all looked terrible...until I got to the end; and this is what I found!

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Nice Red Oak board
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 11:11:46 pm »
Not an expert on oak, but I like it and would have picked it up. Looking forward to seeing what you get out of it.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline NTProf

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:17:40 pm »
Those line are my pencil marks where I have laid out the shape of the bow.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:22:22 pm »
Nice !  Hows the side grain look ?  That will be a bow to see. keep us posted.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline NTProf

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:41:44 pm »
Side grain looks good except from one place, but it is at the handel so should not be a problem (don't think it would be a problem anyway).

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:42:07 pm »
Oh crap, now I gotta go back to hiding them in the carpeting aisle.  Kidding, great find, hope to see a great bow posted soon.  
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 04:41:02 am »
Side grain looks good except from one place, but it is at the handel so should not be a problem (don't think it would be a problem anyway).

depending on how thick the handle is but on a bend in the handle bow the handle has the most stress. 

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 12:37:14 pm »
As one who works a lot with red oak boards, that's a keeper! What dimensions are you planning for that bow?
I'm currently working on a 2.25" wide red oak bow. Not pyramid, but it starts tapering before mid limb.

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 12:54:40 pm »
OH wow, nice score! should make a fine weapon :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline jwillis

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 01:31:31 pm »
That's a nice looking board. I was shopping at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago and found a perfect one on the top of the stack...go figure. Jim

Offline NTProf

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 01:44:27 pm »
Never really made a pyramid before. I am going for 2 1/2 inches wide at the fades and straight taper to 1/2" nocks. I am hoping for 50#@28. Any suggestions for length? Do my dimensions sound OK?

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 02:17:53 pm »
Hmmm from my limited experience, and a width of 2.25.  I'd say you could get away with 62-63+ inches depending on whether you are going to back it with something or not.  The density of the board is also something to consider, the ratio of earlywood to latewood is pretty important for red oak because the earlywood can be very signifigant at times.
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"