Author Topic: Cahokia style heads  (Read 2610 times)

Offline II BYRDS

Cahokia style heads
« on: December 28, 2010, 04:40:44 pm »
All...

have a question i have a friend thats napping me some arrow heads for huntting this next year. he is thinking of Cahokia style heads???? he is saying they are a good style and will be more durable than some others. whats your alls thoughts.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Cahokia style heads
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 04:56:15 pm »
There are several "cahokia" types but a common one is simply a traingle with two or three notches.  It is perfect for hunting.  This type of notched triangular arrowhead used by Native Americans throught the plains and prairies, BTW.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 05:22:03 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 10:04:08 am »
A modified Cahokia-type is one of the better, probably the best hunting points. The original Cahokias were too small and fragile to be legal in most places today, so a hunting variant needs to be a little bit bigger and thicker. It's hard to beat a simple modified-Cahokia triangle about 2 1/2" long and an inch wide with a couple shallow side notches like this one or the bottom group in Patrick's pic.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 01:25:49 pm »
bout all I use for hunting...they are a good design....gut

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 03:57:14 pm »
Hillbilly and Gutpile are dead on. I might add,you want to keep a little mass in the center ridge of the point.6 or 7 to one ratio makes a good hunting point that stands up and you can have a resharpen or two to booty. I use mostly obsidian, (I reackon a guy could go a little thinner with harder rock).
Remember that shot placement is everything with stone heads.  Good luck !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 04:54:40 pm »
I also notch at the base..it helps with holding point on when glue up or just pitched...gut

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 05:59:08 pm »
i think they are ok... work well enough, i just get tired of that same ol triangle shape..lol   i like the real tradional corner notch points the best.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 08:16:20 am »
Ryan, unfortunately, both those corner notches would be illegal in NC-they would be considered "barbed."
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Lombard

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 07:11:29 am »
Ryan, unfortunately, both those corner notches would be illegal in NC-they would be considered "barbed."

Same here in AL.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 12:33:10 pm »
No barbs in Washington state either. Did'nt they start these non-modern guns seasons out, calling them "Primitive" weapons seasons ? I would think a stone point would be exempt,but I don't know nothin'.  (I like corner notches too).  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 10:07:03 pm »
No Barbs in Penna. an must be a minum of 7/8 " an no longer than 3 " :o   Bob

Offline rwaterman00

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 03:00:41 am »
my pensylvania non barb points i use a susquehanna broadspear design.
i think the broadspear design hafts to the arrow tighter as well
i just wanna get close enough to shoot a deer with my selfbow and a stone point this year. i cant seem to get any in range. havent taken a shot yet this year.  :-[
i think as far a durability goes dont use obsidian. i like flint ridge- strong and gets darn sharp
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:11:57 am by rwaterman00 »

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 03:45:55 pm »
because obsidian breaks, doesnt mean its bad. when the tip breaks upon impact of a rib, it creates a chisel tip that does tremendous damage. i dont like stemmed obsidian points though cause they typically break near the shaft.
im very partial to levanna style heads and small. a lot of it has to do with the fact its what was used here in the northeast
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline rwaterman00

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 04:40:57 pm »
i agree i dont think obsidian is bad. and agree on broken chisel tip theory as
well. i just feel that  cherts are stronger. with certain cherts the difference in sharpness you can obtain is for practical purposes every bit as sharp as obsidian.
a thiner chert point i my opinion is more effective then a point which must be kept thicker to prevent breakage.
the same goes with point weight. obsidian is generally lighter but must be kept thicker. making point weight basicly the same in the end.

i squirel hunt with stone point as well. i use chert and  argillite points because they dont break as ofter when i miss.
argillite - now there is a stone which gets sharp and is extremely strong. it just sucks to work with.
abo people here in SE penn used alot of argillite. mainly because our area is poor for quality stone.
with exception - pa jasper. love the stuff
i think i will post some jasper points tonight.