Author Topic: BBIH - FIRST BOW  (Read 4846 times)

Offline bubby

Re: BBIH - FIRST BOW
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 03:43:27 pm »
it look's like you cut the nock grooves thru the boo back, you might want to glue on tip overlays, on my first boo bow I did like you andafter a while the string lifted a long sliver from the nock to the node. ended up pikeing the bow  and added tip overlay's, couple a thousand shot's latter, no problem, any how that's a very nice bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Hexrod

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 04:10:04 pm »
Thanks for the kind words and especially for the constructive comments.  As you all know, when a guy is starting out, not knowing what's going on, having a first effort come out may have as much to do with luck as skill  :)

Medicinewheel - just so I learn, could you explain the thinking behind not tempering a bamboo back?  Thanks.

Bubby - thanks for the observation on the nocks.  Makes sense.  My original plan was to cut up an antler shed I found and use 2 of the blunt points for overlays.   Wanted to see if I was able to make a "shooter" before going that far.  Another solution might be to wrap the tip, just under the nock, with some thread, sealed with varnish.

PatB - thanks for observations on woods - I'll look into ipe for a belly

TBod - yes, you can make fly rods out of wood.  Before bamboo came into common use, that was the standard.  Then as bamboo was being introduced, they made rods with wood butts and bamboo tips.  Then all bamboo.  There is a new-ish book by John Betts on making a flyrod out of wood.  Check it out.

Thanks again, all!

lee

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 04:35:21 pm »
             Killer bow,nice work.

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 02:23:37 pm »
their are several ways to do the tips in the archive section, I do mine similar to Gordons
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TBod

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 06:08:25 pm »
Thanks! I ordered the book just now, exiting.

Hexrod

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 12:10:13 pm »
I shot the bow the other night, and it seems to shoot just fine.  I'm not enough of an archer to analyze a bows behavior but a couple of guys at the range familiar with wood bows said it is light, fast, and smooth, with no handshock.  Sounds good to me.

So I added antler-shed overlays at the tips

And I put a couple coats of tru-oil on the bow - brought out the colors a bit

Thanks once again to this forum for sharing your knowledge.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 05:50:54 pm »
That's spectacular, one of the nicest, if not the nicest first bow I have ever seen. Excellent work
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 04:40:46 pm »
beautiful bow, amazing job for your first bow. (If you'd put that ipe on the belly instead of in the centre it would have been even better!!!!...)
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 05:05:09 pm »
very beautiful bow!  Looks more like a 10th bow than a 1st!  :) :)  Adding those tip overlays should make it last for a long long time.  Got it bookmarked for January Backed BOM contest!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 01:32:43 pm »
very beautiful bow!  Looks more like a 10th bow than a 1st!  :) :)  Adding those tip overlays should make it last for a long long time.  Got it bookmarked for January Backed BOM contest!  :)

agreed, i cant believe this is a first, and i really hope to see more heh

"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.