Author Topic: Will this make a bow??  (Read 5872 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Will this make a bow??
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 06:33:50 pm »
George, I cook osage until it gets a nice chocolate brown. It doesn't necessarily have to be a smooth solid color all the way down the limb either. I've used this method on the last few osage bows I've made.   I generally heat treat when I'm adjusting the reflex near the completion of the bow.
 On the tradGang Trade Bow(osage)I built last year I heated and straightened or heated and bent that thing so much that I think it got heat treated that way.  :D
  On a locust Eastern Woodland bow I'm working on now I heat treated the limb to a dark brown.  I have given it over a week before I stressed it. I strung it last night and checked tiller and the pull. I'll still have to tweek the tiller some but it picked up a few pounds in the process. I don't know how much because I haven't checked the weight on it yet.
  I'm also working on a hazelnut stave and I added reflex and toasted the belly while doing that. That wood doesn't seem to scroch very well. I'm sure it stiffened the limbs a bit and hope it will hold some of the reflex but I was surprised how little color I could get it to take.
  From reading Marc St Louis' method my method shouldn't be effective...but it is for what I want. I can usually treat a limb in the time Marc leaves the heat gun on one spot.   I'm gonna try Marc's method sometime to see the difference.  When I heat treat I hold the nozzle of the heat gun about 1" above the wood and work in a 4" to 6" area at a time. When it gets to the color I want I move on to the next area slowly incorperating the heat into the new area while slowly taking it away from the last. When I finished with the whole limb I will start at one end and reheat the entire limb then let it cool at least over night before unclamping it. I'll wait a week or so this time of year because of the dryness and 3 or 4 days in the more humid summer before stressing the bow.
  It is all still experimental for me right now. I'm still seeing what I can get away with.  ;D  ::) 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 08:32:59 pm »
OK, that's really helpful.  Thanks, I will try that for sure on this one.  I hope heating it won't affect the superglue where I glued that crack shut.  I'm not far enough along to do it yet.  The lower limb bends nicely but is too stiff.  The upper limb is only bending in the outer half.  I'm embarrassed to say I had the mother of all senior moments last night.  I actually heated and twisted the limb the opposite direction I meant to so now the limb REALLY has twist.   :o ::) :-[ :-[ :-[  Good grief.  I was going to take a picture of it but my camera battery was dead...just as well.  Maybe I should take the night off working on bows?  By the time I get done untwisting and bending this one it might be close to tempered too.  Man, it's good I have another bow to work on if I have to wait for a week after tempering it.  Patience is not my strong suit.

Good luck on those experiments and thanks for all the help. :D

I'm heading out to visit a farmer tomorrow who has been cutting osage corner posts and put an add in Craig's List.   Hope he has some that'll make good bows, the one in the picture looks nice.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 08:41:49 pm »
George, looks like there is a bow in there. Take your time with it. When you have different entry points for the limbs it makes for a tough tiller. George
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 08:46:44 pm »
Are you sure there is hinge there? I can't tell. Looks like a hump in the wood. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 10:15:12 pm »
Jawge, you could be right.  That hump is right on the thinnest spot on the limb after I dealt with that split.  When I started bending the limb most of the bend looked like it was right there.  I assumed it was a hinge.  Now that I have more limb bending and have shortened it I'm not seeing a hinge at all.  Maybe it was never there?  Don't know, but I do hope it makes a bow.  I started it on a whim not caring if it broke, now I'm beginning to care.  It will probably be center shot with that handle.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 11:38:03 pm »
I agree. :D  Doesn't the 3 sisters sound like something my folks would have enjoyed on Lawrence Welk? ;D
George

"...thank you Bobbie and uh Sissie, it's so nice to see that your break dance moves are buck wild as ever.  And now the Three Sisters along with Myron Floren and his accordian are here to take us all back to the great Nascar film "Days of Thunder", starring Tom Cruise, with AC/DC's heavy metal track, "Thunder".  Take it away girls!  A one, a two, a three..."
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 12:00:14 am »
You're scaring my John ;D  Brought back more memories though.  Hey, Nate got his sister today...let the fun begin...pictures to follow. :D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 12:04:11 am »
Mr. Welk (another celebrated North Dakotan besides myself) always featured current hits of the day, not just music of the past.  If he was on the air today me might be featuring one of his wholesome beauties singing Lady Gaga's Pokerface.  Or not.

::)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 12:14:58 am »
The highlight to my grandmother's life was that she got to cook and serve a meal for Lawrence Welk in her home in Minnesota and my uncle (her son-in-law)  played golf with him.  I don't remember the circumstances that led to those events, but lets just say my folks didn't miss a show.  Hard for me to picture Guy and Ralna and Lady Gaga on the same show though. ???

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 03:32:19 pm »
Well, this bow is now tillered to about 43#@24".  My superglue/sawdust filler of the crack failed on one side all the way through the limb.  I was hand drawing at the time and it was easily the loudest tick I've ever heard while drawing a bow.  I felt it clearly in my bow hand and it spooked me a bit, but I could not find the source of the noise.  I went ahead and put the bow on the tiller tree, pulled it some and marked some stiff spots which were then scraped.  I didn't discover the source of the noise until I was about to quit for the night.  Sadly, I didn't have the camera out there.  My question is whether I should try gluing it again, or just wrap the whole limb there with decorative thread for 6" or so?  I don't think that limb is tillered well enough to declare it finished, but I'm a little reluctant to pull it a lot further with the crack not secure.  I'll post a picture tonight.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 12:27:17 am »
I took pictures to ask for tillering help.  Looking at them is better than looking in real life it seems.  I'm thinking I should do more on the lower limb, which is longer and bends less.  Maybe a little inboard on the upper limb too.  Funny, I like the tiller on each individual limb, they just don't go together.  Anyway, what are your thoughts?  That deflex has me doubting most everything I come up with. ???

George

St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 09:04:03 am »
Looks pretty good to me,the hump in the handle makes it hard to see ,but overall it don't look bad at all.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 12:56:42 am »
Thanks Pappy, assuming it makes a bow I'm really curious how it will shoot.  I got a picture tonight of the crack showing how it has opened back up.  The super glue did not keep it together for some reason.  After exercising the limbs for a bit the crack looks worst, within 5 minutes of unstringing it you have trouble seeing the problem.  Tomorrow I'll pick up some more thin superglue, reglue and then clamp it in the vice overnight.  Once I have it tillered I can wrap that spot.  This picture was taken a couple minutes after unstringing it so the crack had closed up some.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 06:28:38 am »
Thats about all you can do,how far out are you now as far as draw length,I would get it rapped as soon as I could,may have to leave that area a little stiff,what area of the limb is that spot in ?
Sometimes if I am pretty close I will scrap a little extra on a spot like that then rap and  continue tillering the rest of the bow and take what I get there.  :)   
   Pappy       
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 10:38:33 am »
I have pulled it to 24", that upper limb appears to have a boatload of bend at that point, worse than it really is because of the deflex.  Wrapping it now is a good idea, I think all of the remaining tillering will be outbound of that spot.  The crack is at that dark spot on the lower limb in the pictures, right off the fade-out.  I need to decide if I'm going to wrap with decorative thread or with sinew.  Thanks for the advice.

George
St Paul, TX