Author Topic: built a few..  (Read 4944 times)

Offline aero86

built a few..
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:36:43 pm »
got a few sticks of bamboo in the mail on friday, and i was kinda bored today cause the weather was crappy.  so i decided to build a few arrows.  they all range from 50-55, they are 30 inches long.  these are bamboo, tonkin i believe.  started at 2pm or so, stopped at 4pm to go watch green hornet.  got home about 645pm and finished these at 8pm. 

the fletchings are 2 white, 1 grey.  i attached them to the shaft with super glue gel first.  then i tied the front with strong black thread.  then i applied duco to the wrapping, both sides of the feather, front, middle and rear.  have had pretty good luck doing it this way for a while.  if you prep the fletching part of the shaft by sanding, you practically have to tear the shaft apart to get the feathers off.  im really liking the look of the arrows this way.  they are 4 inch cut, parabolic.  anyways, hope you enjoy, i enjoyed making them.  finally getting the hang of it!

profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline NTD

Re: built a few..
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 10:51:40 pm »
Nice Looking arrows, Aero ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:03:01 pm »
thanks, and i just noticed that arrow looks bent, but its straight, i promise!! lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 11:04:55 pm »
Yes, those are very nice.  Hope the ones I'm working on come out half that good.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline thomas h

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 11:32:40 pm »
wow you do good work  for a "youngster"  seriously those are nice.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 12:09:15 am »
Nice cane arrows. You might consider putting a wrap just below the nock to prevent the cane from splitting there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 01:11:19 am »
thanks everyone!  im happy with them. probably make the rest just like them. 

pat, i forgot to mention, i put a plug in the nock end.  cut the nock into it that way.  i made about a dozen arrows a couple weeks ago the same way.  havent had any problems out of my 55# recurve

Offline xin

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 01:41:09 am »
Beautiful arrows!!

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 09:44:59 am »
Look good...I have to start trying to make some.  Hope they come out as good. :)
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:41:58 pm »
 Really nice.They look great. I hear the cane really holds up. Hope to make some sometime. Thanks for the sharing. '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Lombard

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 09:31:18 pm »
Those look nice Aero86.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 10:15:36 pm »
Nice arrows, Ryan!  those cane arrows are nearly indestructible!   The only way I ever have an excuse to make more is to lose em.  Sure can't break em.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 10:33:37 pm »
 :o great job,Thats what I need to do.

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 11:16:03 pm »
thanks guys!  your right josh.  though, im very hard on mine, ive only broken just a couple out of dozens.  one was a too thin shaft, the other was just pure torture.  course, i end up giving mine away so i can make more.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 12:36:25 am »
Ooh ooh pick me, pick me!!  ;D

George
St Paul, TX