Author Topic: A good day in the bow shop - Day 2  (Read 4210 times)

Offline osage outlaw

A good day in the bow shop - Day 2
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:10:05 pm »
Today the wife was working, the kids were at school, and I didn't have anything to do except spend all day in the bow shop.  My day started a little before 8:00 am.  I mounted my grandfathers old vise to my workbench so I can have two to work with.  A friend is coming by later to work on his first bow.

After that, I put a deer skull in to soak in some hot soapy water, then got started on chasing a ring on the back of an osage stave.  This stave is for a trade I have going on.

Sometime around 10:00 my friend showed up with his Hackberry bow.  I set him up in the vise and got out another drawknife.  He started thinning down the limbs.

I started removing the bark and sapwood on another stave.  This one is going for the same trade as the other one.  I received a full tanned deer hide plus a couple of smaller pieces.  I want to make a quiver out of it.  Don't laugh at my poor excuse of a bench.  It works.

After he got the limbs thinned down some, he went to the belt sander to smooth out the belly and sides a little.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:42:51 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline 22arrows

Re: A good day in the bow shop
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 07:18:06 pm »
Yup that was a good day ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 07:23:16 pm »
Time for lunch. 

This stave has some amazing color to it.  I have made 2 other bows out of this same tree and they have had the same colors, just not as much as this stave.  It should make a beautiful bow.  All of the sapwood has been removed plus a couple more rings below it.   

Around 3:00 my friend had to call it a day.  He did a lot of scraping and rasping and it is reallly starting to look like a bow.  We will start tillering it the next time he comes over.

I finished removing the bark and sapwood on the stave.  It looks great.

I went back to work on chasing a ring on the other stave.  I want to leave a thin layer of early wood on it so he can just sand it off and be ready to go.

We made a decent size pile of shavings today.

I had to hurry and get it swept up before the kids got home at 4:00.  I have a nice mound of shavings and scraps going.

Tomorrow, I will have about 4 hours to spend working in the shop.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:24:09 pm »
looks like a fun productive day to me... got me wanting a Rice Krispy Treat too.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Postman

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:25:21 pm »
That is a pretty stave - congrats on pulling a friend down into the madness with you ;D  -his bow's lookin' good
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:19:38 pm »
 Nice !  I got to have a couple of days like yours real soon to finish a BL i'm working on. Good pictures  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 01:47:40 am »
Ok im jealous I wish I could have been in the shop all day, That Osage is very pretty looking. I have a trade I hope goes through a vine maple stave for some Osage billets but havent heard back in a while this makes me want to try to get the ball rolling. Nice shop ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 06:21:50 am »
Looks like a good day,nothing like a day in the shop,just you and the wood. I don't get much of that anymore but when I do it is special. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 06:45:25 am »
You've made us all jealous now!
Looks like you had a fine time. It's great to still be using that old vice, I like old tools.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline jwillis

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 01:38:20 pm »
That reflexed stave looks awesome. Jim

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 02:28:49 pm »
The kids are home today thanks to a bunch of snow, so I haven't got any work done today.  I might be able to sneak out for a few minutes later.  Who knows, might be too much snow to go to work tonight ;D

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 03:20:26 pm »
Lol, i cant wait for a rice crispy treat and some bow time! the wife and son are visiting the inlaws for the weekend so i've got lots of spare time coming up.  now all i need is a bowshop, the bow-livingroom gets messy pretty fast :)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 06:41:39 pm »
Way too much snow to go to work.  Guess I'll have to stay home and work on bow stuff for a couple of hours. ;D

I finished up the two staves for the trade.  I used the bandsaw and a drawknife to take them down a little so I can save on shipping.

Now to start spitting out some more.

I ended up with 4, including one belly split out of that piece.  I have another trade going on, I think I will use the one on the left.

I was looking over the 4 split staves and noticed I have a nice character split in one about 14" from the end.  That will make one unique bow if I can make it work.

The kids are home from grandma's house so my work day is over.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: A good day in the bow shop - Day 2
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 06:52:03 pm »
Lucky :P nice wood
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: A good day in the bow shop - Day 2
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 11:07:13 pm »
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!