Author Topic: R-d tiller input request  (Read 1968 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
R-d tiller input request
« on: July 17, 2016, 01:44:12 pm »
Hi guys I'd really appreciate your input on the tiller of this my latest build. Its maple backed lemonwood 70" tip to tip. I was aiming for 50# at 28" but if I get 40 I'll be happy. It seems solid anyway so I hope it'll hold together and come out shooting nicely! :)
Cheers Si
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline sieddy

Re: R-d tiller input request
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 01:56:32 pm »
Sorry for the rubbish pictures I'm juggling babies, kids and cooking duties!  :o
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 02:05:30 pm »
   Too much bending at the fade on the right limb. If it hasn't allready taken set there you will need to adjust both limbs according to that weakest point. One thing I don't like about that shape is that we will mostly end up tillering out the area midlimb to bend more and it ends up wit a straight bow profile with none of the benefits of an r/d bow. In the future try to keep your bend more gradiual so it increases as it nears the tip durring the glue up.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:09:02 pm by Badger »

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 02:30:22 pm »
Right limb?

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 02:48:14 pm »
Both fades are bending like mad.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline sieddy

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 02:55:53 pm »
Cheers guys!  :)
 I thought the right fade was too stiff and that was why that limb was closer to the string? Can't figure this profile at all!  :o

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 02:58:26 pm »
  Sorry , left limb!!  Thanks DC

Offline sieddy

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 03:07:35 pm »
Sio I need to remove wood fade and mid limb on the right to get it balanced?

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 04:21:12 pm »
 both fades are bending too much right now, leave them alone! Get your outer limbs bending more. You left limb is the weakest point at the fade and everything will have to come down in weight to match it.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 04:42:12 pm »
Thanks Badger. I appreciate the input.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 04:51:04 pm »
A good sense of floor tiller is key for R/D bows and they can be deceiving to tiller.i can't see your photo's because I live in the bush and cell service is bad here!take a look at marc 's R/D bows unbraced to brace,it will clearly show that he preload the spring for extra string Tention going from a very reflexed limb to a angular shape at brace.i like to start at the tips working in towards the handle by sighting down the limb while bending on the floor.the reflexed limb should almost straighten out or just shy of that.to err on the side of caution more thought should be placed on the reflex section as the deflex will come. Naturally from the set
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 06:23:16 pm »
Cheers Bushboy I really appreciate your input particularly as you've took the trouble when you're out there in the wilds. You've explained the process nicely too so thanks a lot.
I do value the help people offer on here.  :)