Author Topic: 3-D with Primitive Bows  (Read 6398 times)

Offline NTProf

3-D with Primitive Bows
« on: January 22, 2011, 02:18:03 pm »
I used to compete in 3-D shoots all the time with my compound equipment. Now that I build and shoot exclusively my own bows (self and backed) I was thinking of starting up again. Does anyone else shoot or compete in 3-D shoots with you primitive equipment? If so, what setup do you use?

Offline aero86

Re: 3-D with Primitive Bows
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 02:42:41 pm »
ive done it a few times, but after everyone did their rounds..  i wasnt keeping score! lol.  its a fun time, but im not that great at shooting yet anyway.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 02:45:21 pm »
 I used to compete in the ASA open class With compound. Got burnt out about 6 years ago and didn't pick up a bow till last year when I started making my own. I think it is alot more satisfying and fun doing it this way. To me, there is nothing better (almost) ;) than watching an arrow that I make shootting from a bow that I make. No more 12 rings, just hit the vitals and relax ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline ohma

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 03:02:12 pm »
i shoot around 10 3d a year. i shoot what i intend to hunt with  but shoot a lighter arrow most of the time. dont be intimidated by others or more modern equipment, just have fun and shoot what you like. you will be surprised at how many self bows you see out there any more.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline Frode

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 04:12:09 pm »
Well, sort of...

;D,
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 04:39:02 pm »
you do that too?  lol.  i had a big monkey i used to shoot, untill i left it outside on accident and my ridge decided to gut it for me all over the back yard..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:26:04 pm »
I went to 2 of them last summer.  They were both traditional only shoots.  I had a blast.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline agd68

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 05:29:06 pm »
Yep,the wife and I shoot 3-D with primitive bows. We go to two 2 day traditional only shoots every year. We both shoot primitive longbows and wood or  cane arrows. In shoot a 55 # BBI R/D and hers is a 40# BBO R/D. Try it you'll have a blast.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline coyote088

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 06:01:39 pm »
I used to compete in 3-D shoots all the time with my compound equipment. Now that I build and shoot exclusively my own bows (self and backed) I was thinking of starting up again. Does anyone else shoot or compete in 3-D shoots with you primitive equipment? If so, what setup do you use?

I didnt think there was any other way to shoot a 3D tournament other than with traditional bows >:D

Only 118 days to our first outdoor 2 day traditional only shooot! ;D

Me and AGD68 at last years Woodland Traditional Shoot in May

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 06:14:43 pm »
 Traditional Bowhunters of Florida has 3 shoots a year. Three classes, longbow, recurve and primitive. The first two classes are glass.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 06:24:47 pm »
I shoot 2 or 3 a year and use the same set up as when hunting. I buy a score card to support the shoot but don't keep score either and use it for hunting practice.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 06:29:31 pm »
 Heck, first time I met Pat was at a 3-D shoot in Ga. I was shooting an osage that wasn't finished and Pat had a hickory bow that turned to a noodle when the temperature and humidity went through the roof.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 06:31:57 pm »
Except for the seed ticks that Elberton shootwas one of my favorites, Eddie. I had forgot about meeting you there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 08:33:35 pm »
I usually do a couple a year... one longbows only, with 2-blade broadheads, called North American Longbow Safari. It's a blast.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 08:52:25 pm »
Just got back from an indoor one in Cheyenne today. I shot with a bunch (I think we had 9 in our group) all shooting recureve & longbow. About 50+ other people with compounds. I was the only one shooting 'primitive' equipment. But you know what, I had fun shooting and being with people I like. Will be doing about one a month till fall.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.