Author Topic: Fitting horn tips onto bow?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline snag

Fitting horn tips onto bow?
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:33:12 am »

I did a trade for these horn tips. I would like to learn the best way to fit these to an osage bow. Are there any tips in how to shape the bow tips to fit these? I did a search in the "how-to's" but came up with nothing. Thanks, David
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Fitting horn tips onto bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 12:43:35 pm »
David, you will have to shape the limb tips to match the hole in the horn.
When I made horn tips I used a 1/2" spade bit that I ground to make a tapered drill bit. I then shaped the tips to match the drill bit. Once you get close you can wrap sand paper around the bow tip and put that in the socket and twist it to sand the inside smooth and then put a sandpaper cone inside the socket and sand the bow tip to match. This should get you pretty close.
  On the few of these I've done fitting the horn tips were the most difficult part of the bow building process.
 Be sure that you put the string groove over the end of the bow tip. If it is out beyond that it will pull off the tip. Also, you can't use a cup type stringer with this type of horn tip. It will pull it off also. You will notice on lots of ELB with horn tips that the tips have 2 string grooves in them. The outter one is used for stringing the bow with another longer string placed in the outside grooves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 01:52:39 pm »
It's easier if you've drilled the hole in the horn yourself, because you can then use the same drill to make a hole in a scrap of hardwood, cut a slot into it to take some sand paper and use that to shape the bow tips giving a perfect fit, in the manner of a pencil sharpener.
Maybe press some moddelling clay into one of the nocks, when you pull it out it will show the shape you need?
A sprinkle of powdered chalk in the nock will help show the high spots on the bow tip as you push it in and rotate it, keep sanding off the high spots until you get a pretty even chalk mark.
You'll know when it's right, it will fit snug and won't wobble. Check the depth of insertion too, you want to make sure you are all the way in.
Del
(BTW I use a good quality rapid epoxy for fitting)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline snag

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 02:08:50 pm »
Thanks guys. I figured this was going to be a hard process. I think I will do a practice piece before a try it on the bow.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.