Author Topic: Kalamazoo Traditional Bowhunters Expo thoughts & observations  (Read 1564 times)

Offline eflanders

Kalamazoo Traditional Bowhunters Expo thoughts & observations
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:20:50 pm »
I had the opportunity to drive over to the Kalamazoo Traditional Bowhunters Expo yesterday.  This was my first time here and I thought I would share with you some of my observations:

1). The Howard Hill, Bear and Native American Indian bow exhibits were really worth seeing.  By seeing this bows from infancy to recent times was worth the price of admission alone.  I really learned a lot just by seeing these exhibits.
2). There were only two self-bow exhibitors there.  One was more of a demonstration and the other was just a seller.
3). There were many, many glass bowyers there.  Many were well-known names like: Black Widow, RER, Great Northern, Shrew, Lee and more.
4). There were also some lesser known glass bowyers there showing off there designs etc. 
5).  I find it quite amazing as to what the glass allows you to "get away" with in the design of the bow.  You can very creative artistically and not sacrifice shootability. :o
6).  I talked with as many different bowyers as time allowed (10+).  All of them felt some form of bamboo was the only limb core material to use.
7). Even the self bowyers alll used bamboo but as a backing, even with osage, yew and other woods.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Kalamazoo Traditional Bowhunters Expo thoughts & observations
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:40:49 pm »
Sadly I could not make it, even though I live 45 minutes away. >:( It's good to here some feedback about the show though, thanks. I know Lonnie Collins, the guy with the howard hill display, and yes it is an impressive collection. It sounds like I should get a primitive booth in the works for next years show. ;)
Rockford, MI

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Kalamazoo Traditional Bowhunters Expo thoughts & observations
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 07:04:35 pm »
I just returned from the Show late this afternoon after sending the whole day there with my two young boys, 11 & 8.  It would be a major understatement to say it made a very large and positive impression on these two young men.  While I enjoyed seeing all the major "glass bow" vendors I mainly attended in hopes of seeing some of the selfbow makers and their wares.

I spent some time talking with John Cooper from Bronze Bow Archery, who had some really nice looking bows on display.  He had a few Boo backed bows that were simply gorgeous (if I end of being a putz at trying my hand at making the selfbows I will likely be knocking on John's door for one of his creations.)  He also sat down and showed me how to tie up a Tillering String and sold me one on the spot even though he was ther to sell bows not strings to a neophyte.  Thanks John!

I couldn't have been more proud and pleased than when they asked if we could leave the "Big Vendor" room and go back to talk with and watch the gentleman who were doing the Flintknapping demo...one of the guys, Greg Bennink, took lots of time to explain the process to us and the boys really got a kick out of it.

The boys & I also spent a fair amount of time talking with Marty Tarrant and Gary Davis (Rattlestick Bows) as they explained the process of making a selfbow from Osage and adding sinew backing to them.  Very nice gentlemen who kindly answered all my ignorant questions.  Gary was a true mentor and as we were leaving his demo booth he asked my boys to hold on for a second...he then proceeded to open up his glass case full of Rattle Snake skins and cut off two sets of Rattles which he gave to my boys.  They left the show so amped up about this Sport that I think they are ruined for life  ::)

The boys also got a chance to shoot some nice kids bows at the Michigan Longbow Assn's booth...they had lots of different weights, draw lengths, etc and we ended up being able to get a pretty good idea of what these two need in terms of good shootable bows.  One of them even hit a balloon and is convinced he's the next Howard Hill  8)

Anyway, this was a great show and will likely be an annual for the boys and I.

Regards,

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~