Author Topic: Hog arrows  (Read 2296 times)

Offline NavyDave

Hog arrows
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:07:10 pm »
I was thinking of making some heavy arrows for a hog hunt in Febuary.  Anyone ever take a 3/8 dowel and just taper it for the point and nock?  I've got plenty of 11/32 POCs but wanna put my 160gn grizzly on something heavier.  do you even need to taper if your doing self knocks?

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Hog arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 11:11:59 pm »
No need to taper for self knocks. You should wrap or reinforce the nock end somehow.
Another option is to get some ash or other hardwood shafting. Allegheny makes some good stuff.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:12:22 pm »
 I've found out that it doesen't take much to break a tapered arrow. I quit useing them since I switched to useing bamboo and cane, which is naturally taperd but a lot stronger.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:08:43 am »
ND,
     3/8" hardwood is all I shoot. Make 'em from ash, oak, walnut, maple and some cherry.....even made a few from hickory. I like them a lot, but never hunted hogs. Most everything I've hit with them was a through and through. I have made some for a friend that does hunt hogs, and he says they worked very well.....but I cant say that for a personal fact.
    Here's a few pic's hope it helps ya some.
rich

Offline NavyDave

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:37:47 am »
Thanks for all the replies everyone.  They have red oak dowels at my local Lowes.  Tryed to use them once on 5/16 arrows bu they were a pill to straiten.  Guess I'll get some 3/8 and try a little harder!  Rivercane is definately my next arrow.  You would think that living in southeast GA I could find the stuff fairly easy but I havent found it yet :'(

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:17:14 am »
Navy,
      Ya might want to contact Ken 75, he's in your neck of the woods, and can tell where to harvest yer own.....if you want the cane.
rich