Author Topic: trying to learn more about holmegaard bows  (Read 30118 times)

Offline animus_divinus

Re: trying to learn more about holmegaard bows
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 03:30:03 pm »
i hope that soon.. and i know youre all with me on this.. that through some stroke of luck we stumble upon a much older bow than the holmegaard, humans have been using bows for atleast 30,000 years, closer to 50,000, i would just absolutely love the opportunity to rebuild one of these should we ever find a preserved specimen of one of these... however, most the settlements of this time period were around coastal waters in which most, if not all of these settlements will be at the bottom of the north and mediterranian seas

Offline animus_divinus

Re: trying to learn more about holmegaard bows
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2011, 03:19:35 pm »
im actually going to do some tests soon.. its been proven that some stone age people 35,000 years ago have had the use of callogen based glues (hide glue).. but for much longer, and more widespread they used tars made from pine and birch barks as adhesives.. im going to try some of these materials, as well as glue made from mixing red ochre on wood to test their abilities to hold materials together, as well as their preservative properties... pine tar is a great sealer and preservative of wood, im curious as to how birch stacks up to see about maybe using birch tar/oil as an adhesive for bone/hone nocks, as well as a preservative of the wood

to clarify, birch can be used as glue, preservative, leather treatments, what i meant was id like to test how these stack up against modern alternatives.. come up with actual numbers and data to get a better understanding of the materials stone age people actually had... i know its off topic, but those interested in stone age archery might also appreciate other stone age tech.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 03:50:42 pm by animus_divinus »