Author Topic: hichory  (Read 1885 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
hichory
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:29:57 pm »
Anyone know where i can get a hold on some good quality hichory to make a long bow from would like to try backing it with boo for added strength. just can not find any around here.
doc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hichory
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:37:47 pm »
Doc, IMO, hickory and boo are not a good combo. Others will probably disagree. Hickory is very strong in tension but not so in compression. A selfbow of hickory would be more practical im my opinion.
  Pine Hollow sells quality hickory staves. Another option is go to a local specialty lumber company. You can buy enough hickory for 4 or 5 bows for what you will pay for a stave from a vender.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 01:27:01 pm »
Have to agree with Pat on this, if you want a boo backed bow, i am sure others here can help you decide a better wood that would fit your plans.
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:36:05 pm »
I'd also agree. Boo backed hickory is not the best combo, as they're both tension strong woods.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 04:01:51 pm »
Osage, mulberry, black locust would all make a good core for a boo backed long bow.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline jturkey

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 05:24:11 pm »
i was thinking of a board bow for some kids in my church and wanted something doable with alot of strength in it as well. ithat is the only reasoni would back a hickory bow with some thing like boo.  i can use maple all day long but would want something these kids age 14-18 could shoot and be proud to say they own. and hickory seems to be a very strong and durable wood in these parts.   so would this still not be a good choice or would maple be better?
doc

Offline jturkey

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 05:44:55 pm »
if the growth rings were not perfect is what i meant.
doc

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 05:46:18 pm »
Only stave more unbreakable than hickory is white oak. Hickory makes a great bow, and durable, all on its own. No need for boo unless the grain is really awful or you're planning on using Perry reflex to get a certain shape.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 09:38:35 pm »
As Kegan said, you can't go wrong with hickory--durable, forgiving, and reasonably priced ; would be a good choice for a group of kids.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline jturkey

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 09:44:35 pm »
cool thanks
doc