Author Topic: GREENSTONE  (Read 3000 times)

Offline WOODSLORE

GREENSTONE
« on: January 23, 2011, 04:03:30 pm »
I am looking for some catoctin metabasalt for making a war club and knife.
For trade I have woven plant fiber slings ,freshwater clam shells,or some white ash for arrows.
If you have some greenstone to trade but none of this sounds appealing just let me know and I will try to find some other stuff ;D
Paleo arts are a long sent gift from our ancestors.

If primitive meant dumb......none of us would have been born!

Offline WOODSLORE

Re: GREENSTONE
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 02:14:02 pm »
I also have some maple and or hickory arrows.

Offline rwaterman00

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 12:44:56 am »
i dont have exactly what you want, but i do have some argillite to trade. it's a bear to knap, most guys wont touch it but it was common in pa, wv, md. i quarry it myself at a 10000 yr old quarry along the delaware river. i could send you a medium flat rate box in trade.
tell me more about the plant fiber slings. if interested
here is some of my argillite work. i use the kelt and knife for hunting and have thrown and stuck the kelt with no damage

Offline WOODSLORE

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 09:47:27 am »
What Im looking for is the stone that was 'grouund' with sandstone into celts,etc. I will try to find a pic.

Offline WOODSLORE

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:45:39 am »
heres some pics

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 12:29:38 pm »
I was talking with Bill Skinner last month and I think he works with this stuff  ??? He showed me a piece he'd worked up and it looked similiar and VERY nice.  He gave me a piece and I've spent several hours griding away as instructed.   Maybe he'll chime in...
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 02:43:56 pm »
Hey zack, get a hold of Dan Long. I believe he's in the Niagara falls area of Canada an I know he's been doing some grinding of axes an celts, I know he sometimes post over at Paleoplanet an I believe he has a webb site an sells rock.  I have every color but green :o Talk to ya later Bob

Offline WOODSLORE

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 05:23:34 pm »
Thanks guys ;D

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 12:02:57 pm »
Howdy Woodslore, I did a search for the rock you are wanting and found this link;

http://web.wm.edu/geology/virginia/provinces/Blueridge/Catoctin.html?svr=www

It is a granite like rock from what I can see. They quarry a hard granite rock here in NC that is used for gravel on roads and assorted uses, but it is a bluish gray. You may check some rock quarries in your area.
I lived in WV and found several stone axes both half grooved and full grooved made from a green/gray granite stone. Not certain if that is what you want. The ones I found were made by repeated "picking" by another stone and slowly reducing the size by abrasion where the grove is. I found plenty of the same stone not worked along the Ohio River. Many were very close to the size and shape needed for an axe or war head. Those same river granite stones were great for breaking flint into spalls. You may have what you want very close to you, or not.

Hope this may help, Take Care!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes