Author Topic: what type of ash is this?  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Re: what type of ash is this?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 08:50:22 pm »
I don't think your log is blue ash because the bark, unlike the other ash trees, ishould be scaly and more shingle-like. That is a lot of core wood.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 08:57:40 pm »
I did a little more research. Looks like it could be green ash, although you are almost  out of its western range. Green ash is also marketed sometimes as white ash. Looks to me like a lot of potential bow wood.  ;)
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 09:20:36 pm »
Thankyou hrothgar for taking the time to look into it for me! I am going to cut it up into staves I think and just let them dry and see what I can get out of them. Im heading out to the general area this was harvested to get some more wood in a couple weeks. My buddy said he has a BIG Black walnut on his property I can cut down if I want lol, seems like allot of bows and I really dont even know how good it is for bows but its nice looking wood. Thanks again for any help

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 10:02:44 pm »
wehn you cut that "ash" into staves
since your unsure exactly what it is
it might be best to leave the staves a bit larger
that way you will have enough wifth in the stave to make sure you can over build or even under build a couple
to see what the wood can  handle
it would be a shame to make a bunch of small sized staves and then find out you needed a more for it to handle a hunting weight bow
just a little foor for thought  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 02:44:03 am »
Thanks dad good thought will do ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 11:57:06 am »
I found my awnser after a bit more searching, its Oregon Ash. http://owic.oregonstate.edu/species/ash.php In the mechanical propertys section of Oregon ash (fraxinus latifolia)   page it said the bending strength is rated as intermediate and the hardness and compression strength is good so Im gonna give it a try and see what happens ;) thanks again everyone

Josh

Cacatch

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 11:59:46 am »
Good for you!  I seem to recall having read that oregon ash was used frequently by indians in its native area for bows. I bet it would make a good sinew-backed weapon.

CP