Author Topic: Hand Planned Half Dozen  (Read 9212 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Hand Planned Half Dozen
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 06:00:10 pm »
If I had me a table saw I'd rip me up some blanks.  Got quite a few straightest grain can be red oak boards.  Gotta find me a friend with one :) lol

In TBBI Jay Massy just split his wood then planned it square. If your wood is really straight, shouldnt be too much waste.

There's nothing like making your own shafts. I actually find it very relaxing.  Jawge

I agree. I purchased a 'shaft shooter' several years ago but I find I miss the relaxation of doing shafts by hand.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 11:27:07 pm »
I planed out a dozen hard maple shafts.  Gave them to my Dad when I gave him my latest bow.  Very good experience...builds patience and character.
Then I tried my hand at router setup.  Diseaster.
Now I have me a shaft shooter and I like it.  Got 30 or 40 shafts I'm working on now with more stock in the drying box.  Trying some hard maple and hickory heartwood this time.
John

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 12:22:46 pm »
I have dial up so I read the comments while the pix loaded.  When I scrolled up I was struck with awe and said, "oh, those are beautiful."   Nice work pard.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 10:00:22 pm »
Howdy Lombard,

Those are some very nice arrows.  I hope they fly well, and I'm sure they do.

Hey, I really like your fletching jig.  (And, I like the cost of one like that.)

Question;  When using a jig like that (leather with three slits cut in), when / how do you apply the glue? 
Do you tie down the fletchings, front and back, and then apply the glue to the edges of the fletching?  I just don't see how you are getting them glued down??

Thanks for sharing,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 09:58:53 am »
Great looking bunch of arrows,that reminds me I need to get on some arrows. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 11:08:40 am »
I tried  using a router but it required constant vigilance allowing for almost no relaxation.  I guess I learned from Dad. He wouldn't use and electric screw driver. LOL. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wakosama

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 09:51:05 pm »
Very nice, really, but how do you get them all the same spline? I have some straight doug fir and have never tried because I didn't know how to get consistent.
Think as if your LIFE depends on it... IT DOES...!

Offline seabass

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 12:25:41 am »
nice job on the shafts.looks like i need to invest in a table saw,steve
Middletown,Ohio