Author Topic: crowned back  (Read 4875 times)

Offline sharpend60

crowned back
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:44:26 pm »
How does one know if their chosen wood is suitable for a high crowned back?
The other part of this question is when do you need to de-crown the back?

Ive seen tons of fine sapling bows and they have a high crown by definition.

I had a wonderful vine maple gull wing profile pop a deep splinter on the back near the fade.
It was 1" in diameter and pulled ~50# at 28".
I patched it with linen then decide I may as well treat like a lesson and chopped it up...

Just curious, if de-crowning was called for, seeing how I ended up backing it anyhow.

Offline Dauntless

Re: crowned back
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 06:12:27 pm »
I would think of vine maple as a tension strong wood.  The kind that can take high crown not as an inconvenience, but as a performance enhancer.  An inch of width might be too thin for 50lbs though.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 06:24:59 pm »
I knew the bow would be short lived, I had stressed it pretty hard.

It just got me thinking about a high crown.
Ive heard of folks timming em down just not exactly sure what warrants it.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 06:45:53 pm »
I decide how wide I want a bow and what draw weight, if the removing wood off the belly to reach draw weight will narrow the bow too much, then I'll decrown it.
generally only a problem with small diameter logs.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 07:01:25 pm »
I've never decrowned a bow and don't see a reason to unless it is too bad to be a selfbow. If I wanted to make a backed bow I would use wood appropriate for the job.   When dealing with a high crown make your belly very flat! For weaker woods make the bow longer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:05:05 pm »
Leave it a couple of inches longer. No need to decrown. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 11:28:28 pm »
 I see no reason either unless your going to back it with boo or a slat of some kind.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline aaron

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 12:40:26 am »
having played with a bit of small diameter VM, i agree that one inch is narrow for this bow. i don't see the length mentioned, but a bendy handle would probly help.
But what caught my attention was decrowning- i have thought of this too . With VM  there are plenty of 2 or 3 inch dia staves, but the high crown would tend to make these less efficient than a more flat-backed profile. I wonder if anyone here has any experience decrowning saplings of a less-snakey wood. Vine Maple suffers from lumps moreso than snakes, it builds thickness around even small knots , leaving the back quite irregular , but i wonder if one could decrown and lightly back a VM sapling with good results. Perhaps i should do just that...
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 04:34:42 am »
havn't used vine maple, but maybe a backwards bow?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 05:44:22 am »
having played with a bit of small diameter VM, i agree that one inch is narrow for this bow. i don't see the length mentioned, but a bendy handle would probly help.
But what caught my attention was decrowning- i have thought of this too . With VM  there are plenty of 2 or 3 inch dia staves, but the high crown would tend to make these less efficient than a more flat-backed profile. I wonder if anyone here has any experience decrowning saplings of a less-snakey wood. Vine Maple suffers from lumps moreso than snakes, it builds thickness around even small knots , leaving the back quite irregular , but i wonder if one could decrown and lightly back a VM sapling with good results. Perhaps i should do just that...
I believe in decrowning small diameter staves if it's needed. Have a look at my website (the globe symbol beneath my username). The Hazel bow section has a couple of decrowned bows and the tillering videos show an Ash bow being decrowned and tillered.
Obviously a natural back is least work, but a few strokes of a spokeshave up the back can help bring down draw weight while maintaining maximum width, it actually ends up giving you the 'trapped' shape cross section which is seen as a good thing.
I'd say try it and draw your own conclusions.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 01:54:52 pm »
In TBB4 chapter 2 Bow Wood by Tim baker, Tim said in the vine maple section of bow woods that John Strunk noted when working with vine maple as with any strong in tension woods, there can be an advantage to crowned backs. The crowned back has less mass, and being narrower, stretchesfarther, doing more work, reduceing belly strain, all resulting in greater arrow speed. I have the pleasure of living very near John here in Tillamook and have worked with him a bit and seen allot of his bows I recall most all of his vine maple bows having pretty good crown to the backs and they can fling an arrow  ;D I do agree 1 inch is a bit narrow for 50# but its cool to know you took a shot and got it to pull 50# anyway, thats impressive!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)