Author Topic: Bark-on sapling?  (Read 1976 times)

Offline okie64

Bark-on sapling?
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:52:31 pm »
Cut this sapling about a year ago and thought about tryin to make a bow leavin the bark on it. It has a lot of knots so I figured it might be easier that way and would look cool too. Never tried to make one with the bark on. Its 2" wide across the back and I think its Hackberry. What yall think?

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Bark-on sapling?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:57:54 pm »
O would love to see it built, but I think the bark will peel off and/or crack. I do not think the bond between bark and 'wood' is strong enough unless you can peel it off in one piece and glue it back on?

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:02:41 pm »
I did a bow and left the bark on. The bark came loose and ruined the bow.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:15:46 pm »
The bark is brittle and will crack when the bow is drawn. Those cracks in the bark will generally go down into the wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 11:24:03 pm »
   I've always been told the same. I saw a 58" hickory bow that had the bark glued back on after it was scraped down and seasoned. Like BR said. Just like a birch bark or cherry bark backing. LOOKED good but I never did it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 12:19:56 am »
Hackberry Bark will peel off during the Tillering Process...it will not stay on...but will come off in long sheets as soon as it starts to bend...you'll hear it popping loose as  you flex it.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome