Author Topic: Snake ID help  (Read 4925 times)

Offline NTD

Re: Snake ID help
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 05:58:01 pm »
There are 16 species of North American Rattlesnake.  I have 13 of those in my state.  I believe there are 30 species when you count the ones in Mexico, Central and South America.  If you count subspecies there are ALOT of rattlesnakes.  And no,not something else you'd have to worry about, These aren't in your neck of the woods. ;)  They are in mine though.
Nate Danforth

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 11:03:47 pm »
Nate...if you can break free and make it up here to Rapid City, I'll get you in touch with the guys and gals at Reptile Gardens.  They still have the largest collection of venomous snakes and there are a few things that they don't even have on display!  Sorry, you gotta leave your skinnin' knives in the vehicle!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline NTD

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 11:54:55 pm »
If I ever make it up that way John I'd love to.  I've friends who run the 2 herp facilites nearby, I almost always by pass the general display and get taken into the back rooms, it's usually where the good stuff is.  No worries about the skinning knives, I prefer them alive, but am always willing to put the dead ones to good use.

One of the perks of knowing the right people ;) Me with a Mexican Beaded Lizard, for those that don't know, one of 2 venomous lizards in the world ;D

And proof that I don't skin all the snakes I see ;D  These are some rattlers that I own.  The tigers are showing some breeding behavior, if that works out I'd be one of a handful of people to successfully captive breed them.

Tiger Rattlesnakes

Albino Western Diamondback and Arizona Black

One of my sidwinders (my favorite rattlesnake)
Nate Danforth

Offline snakeman

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 01:47:27 am »
Those are Diamondback Water Snake(nerodia rhombifera) skins.I used to find those all the time in north texas.They would always try to get your fish off your stringer.

Offline NTD

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 02:34:11 am »
Snakeman,

I was wrong!  That's funny too, I asked my herp buddy yesterday what he though they were and he said the same thing, Diamondback water snakes.  That was a new one for me   :-[
Nate Danforth