Author Topic: carry gun for little woman?  (Read 7416 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: carry gun for little woman?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 10:35:13 am »
I agree with you 100 percent Nate....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 10:41:47 am »
not to be a stick in the mud, but does she know how to shoot.  not just at the range. im a firm believer that a pistol is more dangerous to the owner if the owner cant instinctually draw that weapon and pull the trigger. if the weapon is drawn the trigger should be pulled and the mag emptied. no warning shots. ive taught many females to train with their weapons. so that under duress the abililty to shoot is there. doesnt matter what size the weapon is if she cant remove it and be ready to injure or kill somebody. peace

i agree. she had never shot in her life before i got her. iv spent as much time with her and handguns as i can, but sence im not much of a handgun guy, and all i really have access to is my .22 revolver, my black powder .44s, and a flintlock 40 cal lol. but she is catching on fast and listens to what i tell her. we still have a long way to go before she starts carrying, but im not just throwing a gun at her and saying have at it.

thanks for all the replies guys. im leaning towards the kel-tek, and i think i can get ahold of one for her to try. thanks a ton guys, glad so many of you chimed in.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline thomas h

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 10:56:01 am »
I'm 22...also a poor college student.  Getting my permit soon.

If I do need to use a firearm for protection one shot to the head is all that is needed for even the biggest person on earth.

in a stress under fire situation  that (one shot to the  head) may be a tuff shot to master all the practice in the world cant prepare you  when another actual living person  is trying to  kill you.

JustinNC

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 12:31:09 pm »
IF she can shoot and she really wants a gun....those Ruger LCP's are nice little guns. I just bought a Ruger SR9C....9mm compact, and only got it over the LCP because the 380 ammo isnt as readily available as the 9mm.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 03:23:05 pm »
i LOVE anything made by ruger, and the 9 mil is cheap and easy to find, but for that the price is the issue. does kel-tec make their little simi auto pocket guns in nine mill or just 32 and 380?
lets just shoot it

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 03:25:36 pm »
You can get old military surplus handguns for a pretty decent price.  I bought an old French service pistol in .32 auto, made by Unique, many years ago for $90.  Quite portable with its 4" barrel, worked fine and could easily hit a man sized target at 25 yards.  Recoil is also very mild
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 03:35:14 pm »
 Like Marc said. I used to carry an East German made Makorov. It was a nice shooting gun and cost less than $200.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dane

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 03:44:48 pm »
Jamie is right. You both have to think this through very carefully. If she wants to or has to carry pistol, she has to be absolutely willing and able to kill her enemy without blinking or hesitating. And then, she has to be ready for the consequences of that decision, including taking another life and how that is going to affect her, and legal liability. She should know that pistol or revolver so well if she does have to use it, she wont fumble; forget how the safety works, all that. I’d say she should put hundreds if not thousands of rounds through it. She should be an excellent shot with it at defensive ranges, and be trained to hit center mass. Those that say head shot only or shoot to wound or firing warning shots make me cold, and they probably should get some training themselves. Those that carry a pistol or revolver to use to scare a potential threat should not be carrying at all, and are idiots of the highest order.

You also may want to consider other kinds of skills like the ability to carry concealed, what happens if a bad guy tries to disarm her, etc. Probably knowing her local gun laws and the consequences should be mandatory too before she actually carries. Where can you legally carry, when do you have to lock up the gun before you go in (federal property, courts, airports, private businesses that post no firearms, etc.). Also, not just shooting to kill, but awareness of those around her and the possibility of hitting an innocent person, shooting through a house or apartment wall and what that may lead to, etc.

The handgun should be small enough to conceal, but large enough she can actually hit her target without flinching before each shot, etc. Folks get so into mag capacity they forget that an average defensive shooting situation is not a gun battle, but putting down the aggressor and nothing more.

And, of course, there is civil liability to consider, as well. She may be in the right, may be defending her life, and still be ruined financially in the aftermath.

On more practical matters, consider what kind of concealed holster is best for her, and those can be very expensive, but cutting corners there can be very dangerous for her or even get her killed. And besides all that, have you considered revolvers? The single best thing about a revolver is no worries about the safety. She pulls the piece, sights and acquires her target and pulls the trigger. Fast reloading and high capacity should be the last thing for her to worry about.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline NTD

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 03:46:51 pm »
Makarov's are good lil guns. 

Kel-tec makes a small carry 9mm.  It's not as small as the .32 and .380 but still a pretty small package for a good price, actually wouldn't mind having one myself.  I really want the Para Ordnance Warthog, but it's way above my price range. 10+1 .45 in a compact 1911 format ;D  It makes me drool a bit.   http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=8
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 04:02:19 pm »
Sweet Pisstolla....might just have to add one to the collection....I bet she barks....and breathes Fire.... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 10:37:26 pm »
 I just got a Para-Ord, 1911, double action. One made in Ontario. 1" groups with nothing done to it at 15 yards.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 12:21:56 am »
If I do need to use a firearm for protection one shot to the head is all that is needed for even the biggest person on earth.

Those "one shot to the head" kills are generally from behind and are euphamistically referred to by the legal system as 'murder'.

I read some stats on Law Enforcement shoot-outs that turned my head.  Taking into account that these people are often ex-military and come into the job with considerable experience, and then go Academy, and then have to qualify on combat arms courses, and then go out into the field where their nerves are tested time and time again until they can seriously say they "been there, done that", AND THEY STILL MISS TWO OUT OF THREE SHOTS WHILE AIMING FOR CENTER-OF-MASS!!!  Just makes me wanna slap the smirk off people that complain that the "cop shoulda shot the gun outa the poor criminal's hand". 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 12:32:15 am »
My wife carries a KEl Tec 380( can't remember the model) And she can shoot it too!!!!!
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 12:26:44 pm »
Miss Joanie carries a small 380 auto 7 shot and o ya she can shoot and I promise she wouldn't hesitate to use it. :) :) She also keeps a 12 gauge in the bathroom closet loaded with 00 buck shot and a 38 revolver in the basement where she watches TV,she has told me several time do not try sneaking in and scare her,I believe her. :)I have a pass word I holler out when I come in the back door if she don't know I am around. :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 12:56:35 pm »
Miss Joanie carries a small 380 auto 7 shot and o ya she can shoot and I promise she wouldn't hesitate to use it. :) :) She also keeps a 12 gauge in the bathroom closet loaded with 00 buck shot and a 38 revolver in the basement where she watches TV,she has told me several time do not try sneaking in and scare her,I believe her. :)I have a pass word I holler out when I come in the back door if she don't know I am around. :)   
   Pappy

My wife doesn't like being surprised either but she's not going to shoot me for it  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com